Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell > Cage Tech

Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Help I've Been Attacked By The 4.6 Spark Plug Curse!!!

Yep, the dreaded Ford alum head curse has struck! The threads are GONE and I'm looking for options. Obviously, I'm considering getting a re-thread kit and having at it. Anyone use one of these kits on a Ford or other vehicle with DEEO plug "ports"? The problem with some of these kits is that they must assume that your plugs are flush with the outside of the head or something. A kit at Advance had a 19mm bolt head on it, you have to use a thin wall socket to get the 5/8 on there buddy, a 19mm will barely get down the tube itself. Also, I'm leaning towards these kits whose inserts have "lips/ridges" on then as opposed to Heli-coil type kits that do not.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KD-2125.jpg (10.3 KB, 80 views)
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I had to re thread one of the spark plug holes on my parents for explorer, the thread kit I used, which looks very similar to the one you are showing wouldnt let me get the tap screwed in even with thin wall sockets.

I wound up having to grind down the tap until it fit a much smaller socket. Then to get to the spark plug hole with the ratchet to drive it in, I went through the wheel well, but I had to use 2 feet worth of extensions to clear the fender, so I needed a second person to watch the tap go in so I didnt screw that up. It would have been easier and quicker to remove the engine as it took almost 10 hours, for one spark plug!!!! And I'm also sure that I got some shavings in the cylinder too.

In the end it did work, and now, 40k later that spark plug is still in there
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I had the 4.6 in my Thunderbird...Sad, sad.

Perfect excuse for some Rousch heads and rebuild tho.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I had to re thread one of the spark plug holes on my parents for explorer, the thread kit I used, which looks very similar to the one you are showing wouldnt let me get the tap screwed in even with thin wall sockets.

I wound up having to grind down the tap until it fit a much smaller socket. Then to get to the spark plug hole with the ratchet to drive it in, I went through the wheel well, but I had to use 2 feet worth of extensions to clear the fender, so I needed a second person to watch the tap go in so I didnt screw that up. It would have been easier and quicker to remove the engine as it took almost 10 hours, for one spark plug!!!! And I'm also sure that I got some shavings in the cylinder too.

Yea, I'm ordering the kit tomorrow as the kit from advance had the problem you and both described. Imho that's a complete tool failure to put a head bigger than the one used to drive in the spark plug. The plug would have to be almost flush with the head for it to work! I'm hoping that this kit doesn't have that problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

Maybe this summer I'll recall my old love of working on cars... Almost 15 years of new vehicles has spoiled me!

What really pisses me off is that I was on my way to get bike oil and when I got back I was so distracted thqt I refilled my bike with the drain plug still out! 3 qts of Lucas racing full synthetic in the pan... That hurts almost more than the plug....
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Maybe this summer I'll recall my old love of working on cars... Almost 15 years of new vehicles has spoiled me!

What really pisses me off is that I was on my way to get bike oil and when I got back I was so distracted thqt I refilled my bike with the drain plug still out! 3 qts of Lucas racing full synthetic in the pan... That hurts almost more than the plug....
Hahaha on the oil, I got a little flag that covers the starter so I don't ever screw up a little worse than that during oil changes. I'm with you on the new car thing though, a warranty and no worries is nice
Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

There's this one badass tapping brand. Let me find it.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I'm going with "simple fix FTW".

Tack a smaller bolt to the top of the tap. That extends it out, so it gets into your recess, and still clears your shit because it's no wider than the hex.

If the hex is too big, cut the fucker off, and weld the whole deal onto the end of a smaller bolt.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I'm going with "simple fix FTW".

Tack a smaller bolt to the top of the tap. That extends it out, so it gets into your recess, and still clears your shit because it's no wider than the hex.

If the hex is too big, cut the fucker off, and weld the whole deal onto the end of a smaller bolt.
Thanks for the suggestion but I went with ordering a kit that came with a bolt head the same size as the original plug. I didn't even have to remove the fuel rail. Ran the tap down with grease on it. Blew the cylinder out with air and spun the engine a couple times to clear the cylinder. Put the insert on the new plug, coated the threads with red lock tight installed and basically drove away. Half hour tops! BTW kit was $20 so no big deal.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Ahhhh the 4.6 Motor...What a Pig.

Good luck Tig.