Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

So do you feed them the chickens whole? i know you said 1/2 a chicken but you give it to them bones and all? Just curious I remember always being told as a kid to never give dogs chicken or turkey bones because they splinter but maybe that was an old wives tale...
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
So do you feed them the chickens whole? i know you said 1/2 a chicken but you give it to them bones and all? Just curious I remember always being told as a kid to never give dogs chicken or turkey bones because they splinter but maybe that was an old wives tale...
Correct, a 1/2 chicken, skin, bones and all. Gizards and lizer if its there. The chicken bones thing appears to be an old wives tale. Apparently only cooked bones are harmful to animals...even poultry bones

Last edited by Trip; 05-23-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Apparently only cooked bones are harmful to animals...even poultry bones
correct. once they get cooked they become brittle and shatter. uncooked bones are actually good because htey clean the teeth and contain marrow... (at least, that's what our vet told us a while back)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Amazing how well they do when they're fed what nature intended them to eat, isn't it.

Perhaps this was discussed in the previous thread, but what's the expense like?
I know when I try to eat only fresh foods, my grocery bill goes up considerably.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Interesting, just curious how much would you say you spend each week to feed them? I have a seriously overweight lab mix at 110lbs and my pitbull is about 60lbs I'd say.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Amazing how well they do when they're fed what nature intended them to eat, isn't it.

Perhaps this was discussed in the previous thread, but what's the expense like?
I know when I try to eat only fresh foods, my grocery bill goes up considerably.
oh heck yes I know about a year ago when I changed my diet to only veggies, fruit and fresh protein my grocery bill easily tripled. I did see he mentioned getting some good deals on whole chickens though....but I'm sure it's a little more than dog food would be but that's a personal choice you make for you pet.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I feed my boxer Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food. It a holistic dog food and his coat is shiny and he is filling out quite nicely for an 8 month old boxer. He is about 55lbs and you can just barely see his ribs. I'll have to get new pics of him posted.
Brinks is on the same. Wayne is on BB large adult. But man they can clear a room fart!!!

This is interesting... but damn they already cost me a fortune to feed. And this is easy.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

It costs us about $3-4 per day to feed them depending on what deals I find. Sams Club is your friend. When I shop the goal is to get meat for $1 a pound...which is what premium dog food runs. $2 a day per dog is a small price to pay to feed my dogs real human quality food. They're stronger and more active than most humans so they need good nutrition.

Feeding has become a bonding ritual as I sometimes feed by hand. It has increased the dogs loyalty to a point where obedience is just a fact of life and not something we have to continuously work on. I feel like it has improved their quality of life.

My buddies wife threw a fit when hre started feeding raw chicken convinced it would kill the dog. He stuck with it and she was amazed at the results.

Last edited by Trip; 05-23-2011 at 09:14 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Brinks is on the same. Wayne is on BB large adult. But man they can clear a room fart!!!

This is interesting... but damn they already cost me a fortune to feed. And this is easy.
Yeah it's easy and really the prices isnt that bad. I think Buddy is going through a big bag(40lbs I think) every month. It's$50 a bag but that is relatively cheap compared to what it costs to feed growing kids. Oh yeah and buddy can crack them off with the best of them but they have no smell. I guess he just swallows a lot air when he eats.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
The best part of the whole raw diet is the lack of dog landmines everywhere.

I'll have to see what the wife paid for food today. I know they won't be eating rabbit unless they catch one. Friggen $18 a bunny !!!

So far their typical diet is for a 20 LB dog-5 ounces of meat tissue, 2 ounces organs, 8 ounces of vegetable glop X twice daily. Just multiply by 8 for a 160 LB dog.

They get a raw egg three times a week. Shell and all.
You feed your 20lb dog, 4.68lbs of food per day????

I'm going to check out a butcher nearby this week... can I get your guys' recipes without sifting through 30 pages of posts?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote