Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #31
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Yes and no.

The Shi'a and the Sunni have been fighting over the same lame-ass bullshit for 1300+ years. "My first cousin is holier than your first cousin". Both sides are assholes, and always will be.

Under Saddam, anyone that upset the Baath Party applecart, be they Shi'a or Sunni, was likely to get disappeared in the middle of the night. Saddam was Honey Badger, he didn't give a shit who you were. You make trouble, you're dead. Simple.

Because of that kind of rule, sectarian violence between the two groups was lower under Saddam, then it was in post 2003 levels. The numbers are there, and I don't know of any informed individual that disputes this.

So, was it worth it? Well, Dave got a new bike and a house out of the deal, so I guess that makes it worth it to him. For me, not so much. Nine fucking years of this shit, way too many dead and wounded Americans, and money we didn't have to spend in the first place, and what exactly did we "get" for all that?

Saddam is dead. OK, cool. Who's in charge now? A guy from the Islamic Dawa Party. Who the fuck is the Islamic Dawa Party, you ask? The same party that supported the Iranian Revolution, and the taking of our embassy back in '79.

Yay. I feel soooooooo much better now...

JC
Quoting for truth.