The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

More to come.......
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

dude, when i grow up i want to be OTB. that or have enough loose money i can grab some of these goodies he always finds
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
dude, when i grow up i want to be OTB. that or have enough loose money i can grab some of these goodies he always finds

You don't have to wait to grow up...just do what I did and do today:

I am just another working stiff. I teach at a private school and make less than public school teachers; so I'm not 'zackly rolling in money.

Ten years ago i was bikeless and all but broke. I convinced my wife to let me use $1000 of our scarce cash to find a bike, rehab it and flip it; I had to repay the household fund from that first bike sale, but the cash I made over and above I got to use as my motorcycle fund.

I found a 10+ year-old bike with low miles in excellent cosmetic (but carb sit-itus non-running) condition for my budget. I spent hours but very few dollars getting it running and pristine as possible; sold the bike in two days and doubled my cash. Payed back the bike fund and never looked back.

For those of you who say "Sure, but a grand won't get you ANYTHING now"; I say BS. I just picked up a low miles, neglected but running Buell Blast for $500, cleaned it, tuned it and put it through inspection (total cost of parts and inspection $110) and delivered it yesterday for over twice my cash layout.

I post the snazzy, unusual or fun finds that I get , ride and flip, but most of the bread and butter stuff I never post on here; It's cleaned up and resold in a day or two; I often never ride many of the bikes I sell...

And I don't bat 1000: About 1 out of 10 or so I may break even or actually lose money. Sometimes it's because of hidden mechanical issues, sometimes it's because I've misjudged the market for that particular bike; sometimes I forget and buy based on what I like rather than what is best for a quick turn (Like that snazzy Benelli; it's going to take MONTHS to move that, and I might take a bath; ...but what a COOL bike!).

I am just an average joe...if you want to do this, it's just takes time, a little patience, some research and a little bit of startup cash......
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Ok?

Looks good.

This all you going to give us?
14,000 miles, lots of CF, meticulously maintained, galfer lines, Corbin seat, racetech shock, springs and fork internals, nice daily rider....

Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

D&D. The worst exhaust a person can pay money for. LOL

I'd like to see her face before seeing her ass.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I'd love to buy some older bikes. I see tons of 'em on Craigslist. I just saw an 86 GSXR1100 that looked like it came off the showroom floor. And a nicely modded TL1000R. But my problem is I would never sell them, I would keep them.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I'd love to buy some older bikes. I see tons of 'em on Craigslist. I just saw an 86 GSXR1100 that looked like it came off the showroom floor. And a nicely modded TL1000R. But my problem is I would never sell them, I would keep them.

"And I don't bat 1000: About 1 out of 10 or so I may break even or actually lose money. Sometimes it's because of hidden mechanical issues, sometimes it's because I've misjudged the market for that particular bike; sometimes I forget and buy based on what I like rather than what is best for a quick turn (Like that snazzy Benelli; it's going to take MONTHS to move that, and I might take a bath; ...but what a COOL bike!). "
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Me likes.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote