Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Bubbler GPS (cell phone spot tracker app)

I downloaded a program called bubbler GPS for my phone (android) and have been playing with it. It works just like a spot tracker except it runs off your cell phone. The tracks are shown just like a spot tracker through spotwalla. The free version seems pretty basic, but lets you do custom messages at each stop vs the spot which has limited preset messages. The pro version ($10 from google play) looks to have a bunch more setting and features such as custom update intervals, the ability to send texts based on location, attach photos to spotwalla when sending a status message and save up to 1500 points for when you are not in cell range (vs the free version limit of 5).

I have the free version and it mapped me pretty accurately from work to my house.

http://bubblergps.com/
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Keep us updated on how it works and how you like it. It might be a viable alternative and much more affordable than a spot. I've got a Route 66 trip next year and I planned on getting a spot but, if a reasonable alternative comes along....

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I downloaded a program called bubbler GPS for my phone (android) and have been playing with it. It works just like a spot tracker except it runs off your cell phone. The tracks are shown just like a spot tracker through spotwalla. The free version seems pretty basic, but lets you do custom messages at each stop vs the spot which has limited preset messages. The pro version ($10 from google play) looks to have a bunch more setting and features such as custom update intervals, the ability to send texts based on location, attach photos to spotwalla when sending a status message and save up to 1500 points for when you are not in cell range (vs the free version limit of 5).

I have the free version and it mapped me pretty accurately from work to my house.

http://bubblergps.com/
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

This is how it did on a friends ride over the weekend. He did an SS1k on saturday

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...0527463c8de410

vs his regular spot tracker which was running at the same time

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...452325a5d42651

My guess is that the limiting factor will be your phones battery life, but if it is plugged into the bike then it shouldnt matter
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Plus it isn't satelite and dependent on a cell signal. I have spot because of no cell signal. Plenty of map my ride apps out there, nothing like what spot is made for.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Satellite and physical durability are the two main reasons I would lean towards the Spot but, it's always good to have a back-up especially since you're probably going to have your phone with you anyway!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Ive never heard of this (Bubbler or Spot) how is it different from a GPS logger? I have a stand alone logger I use when Im traveling to geotag photos. Also, you mentioned auto messaging; Ive been looking for an app that will send out automatic text messages or emails with your location but not in GPS coordinates but as the nearest town.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

That is too complicated. Bubbler send out messages with my location, but it is based on address instead of by city.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Why would you want nearest town? Who are you wanting to annoy with that lack of information and why wouldn't you just use Apple's find my friends or the google version whatever it is called now, use to be latitude, but I think it's built into Google+ now.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Why would you want nearest town? Who are you wanting to annoy with that lack of information and why wouldn't you just use Apple's find my friends or the google version whatever it is called now, use to be latitude, but I think it's built into Google+ now.
For mothers who say "Call me when you get to so and so..." So some one is taking a long road trip; they can program the app to send a text in time or distance intervals with the current location in a format thats easier to understand at a glance than lat/long. You could do a link to Google Maps if you wanted. You could even have it report a distance and ETA to a destination.