Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #51
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I won't trade the fit and safety fo my Arai for gadgetry....

(and if the cheek pads aren't as snug as they once were, you can order new ones and get that new helmet smell all over again for the fraction of the price!)

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #52
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Whooa there tigger... stay off the juice...

I didn't mean electrocrap in a negitive way... I just use crap when I can't think of the word...

it's a good idea... I'm just wondering the reliabilty...

electrochromic is the word I was looking for...
Oh I'm just fucking with you! I don't really care if you guys want to get them or not. To be honest,if I had the only one in the world I'd be happiest! I actually should have pm'd Rae about the helmets as we both have an affinity for gadgetry! I will admit that it has irritated me when I try to introduce people to new products and all I get is a bunch of neg "that won't work" or "that's shit" comments. Anyway,anyone who is interested can buy direct from Akuma or Cyclegear.BTW Akuma was started and is owned by a ex-military pilot who also designed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post

(and if the cheek pads aren't as snug as they once were, you can order new ones and get that new helmet smell all over again for the fraction of the price!)
I don't know how old you are but I remember when slide out chin guards,tool less visor changes and eyebrow vents were considered "gadgetry"
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #53
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I love you PR! So you're saying that you can stop your bike, get into your tankbag or trunk(my trunk won't hold a visor btw),take off your gloves and helmet,swap the shield,put the first one away,button up your bike/bag,put your helmet back on,put your gloves back on and restart your bike in less than 4 seconds? You know what? I have money that says you can't unbuckle and take your helmet off,swap shields and put your helmet back on and rebuckle it in under four seconds!!! Tell you what,it looks like I'll have it in a few days,I'll let you know how well the photo works anyway.
4 seconds? Please- it took a fill minute at least to go to 60% or 80% tint whatever they're claiming. And who knows how long the camera was off before they went back to clear... If you're riding in and out of shadow it doesn't do any good. If you ride into the sun you're still blind tilll it finishes. I can get in my zippered tailbag and pull out a visor and swap it in about 2 minutes. A minute isn't worth that much money and plugging in my helmet every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
This is my point. My Shoei RF-1000 is perfect. And it cost $200 less. And I know Shoei isn't going anywhere.

I am definitely not an early adopter. I'd rather you spend your hard earned money to be the guinea pig. Let us know how it goes. If it holds up for six months/ a year and the price comes down so it's reasonable, then I'll think about it.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #54
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
4 seconds? Please- it took a fill minute at least to go to 60% or 80% tint whatever they're claiming. And who knows how long the camera was off before they went back to clear... If you're riding in and out of shadow it doesn't do any good. If you ride into the sun you're still blind tilll it finishes. I can get in my zippered tailbag and pull out a visor and swap it in about 2 minutes. A minute isn't worth that much money and plugging in my helmet every night.
I have one of those photochromatic fog city visor inserts in my Aria... I love it... it's pretty quick to change... but it's still blinding for a second when you come out of the shade and into bright sun. but less than 3 seconds and your good
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #55
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

This is my point. My Shoei RF-1000 is perfect. And it cost $200 less. And I know Shoei isn't going anywhere.

I am definitely not an early adopter. I'd rather you spend your hard earned money to be the guinea pig. Let us know how it goes. If it holds up for six months/ a year and the price comes down so it's reasonable, then I'll think about it.
Alright you win!!! My last question is..how did you get a Shoei RF1000 for $100? I'm getting two of their helmets with;clear shields,tinted shields AND photochromatic shields-shipped for under $600. Oh and I wasn't clear,we're talking about two different things. The photo shield changes in a few seconds and the T.O.D. shield takes longer but it wasn't designed for you to change it off and on as you ride down the road. Who said it was? You leave it on when it's sunny and you turn it off when it's dark. Who the fuck is trying to change their helmet shields everytime there's a shadow on the road or you go thru a tunnel? If you forget to charge your helmet then you put the tinted shield on just like you do now. Oh well anyway,I'll enjoy mine! Thanks for the debate tho'!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #56
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Alright you win!!! My last question is..how did you get a Shoei RF1000 for $100? I'm getting two of their helmets with;clear shields,tinted shields AND photochromatic shields-shipped for under $600. Oh and I wasn't clear,we're talking about two different things. The photo shield changes in a few seconds and the T.O.D. shield takes longer but it wasn't designed for you to change it off and on as you ride down the road. Who said it was? You leave it on when it's sunny and you turn it off when it's dark. Who the fuck is trying to change their helmet shields everytime there's a shadow on the road or you go thru a tunnel? If you forget to charge your helmet then you put the tinted shield on just like you do now. Oh well anyway,I'll enjoy mine! Thanks for the debate tho'!
Who said anything about a $100 helmet?

Yeah- I missed the part about you getting two helmets... Like I said, let us know how they fare.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #57
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Who said anything about a $100 helmet?

Yeah- I missed the part about you getting two helmets... Like I said, let us know how they fare.
My fault,and the $100 thing came from you saying that your helmet was $200 less...$600 divided by 2 minus $200 = $100 Anyway,I'll post pics and impressions when I get it.