Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory
Default Bmw k1300s

So I have been going back and forth about replacing my 05 Turbo and while in New York this week end I stopped over at Max BMW where they were kind enough to let me test ride a
K1300S
There is some irony here because back in 05 when I started to look at GT bikes the look of the K1200S with its slim lines and single sided swing arm was very enticing. Even last year I was considering adding one but went with the B King.
The Dealership
Max BMW: these people have got it down, wandered in and was immediately invited to sit on anything I wanted. ( I knew I wasn’t interested but I had to through a leg over the S100RR and the ergos reminded me right away of why I wasn’t looking for a Superbike) After poking around a bit a Sales Person named Greg asked me if he could help I told him I was thinking about about replacing a a 05 Hayabusa and he Responded with “Let me show you our K1300S” We talked about the changes from the K1200S to the K1300S a bit about pricing Shift assist electronic suspension, Traction Control and ABS.
Then after gearing up I am off to ride one. The tester is a Base level unit with ABS and heated grips is a base model who’s only option is the tri color paint ($16k) These bikes are beautiful in my eyes and the ergos are quite comfortable. Foot pegs are where you want them if you are 6 foot and at 6’2 they work just fine. The bars are wide and high when you compare them to the Hayabusa. BMW is of course noted for doing things differently just for the sake of being different and right away ,finding the starter button proved this (it’s integrated into the Kill Switch) Getting on the road the bike seems to me the bike feels like you are sitting up high giving it a slightly twitchy feel but after about 5 miles that disappears . The bike is easy to move around and that the radial master cylinders on the from brake and clutch make using them a one or two finger dream. The anti lock works fine but you do sense their presence unlike the VFR1200 Honda system or the System on the Ducati 1200 Multi Strada that you just don’t know are there. In the corners this bike is easy to set up and holds the line well. The “TeleLever” front suspension give feedback but felt a bit odd but became easy enough to read after about 5 miles. Like the first Gen Hayabusa the bike feels bolted down . The bike is 535 lbs. and eats up the rough spots. BMW like Honda seems to have worked out the shaft drive and there is no lurch under acceleration.
Now the not so nice everything from about the bike tells you that they have over governed it. The first three gears below 5k have been retarded to the point of being mind numbing. There is at least and even chance the at below 5k a well tuned HD will out accelerate you hit 6 k and the bikes performance changes so much that this has to be the result of how the bike is programmed rather than any mechanical limits . Above 6k this bike is a sweet ride it pulls strong and smoothly. I have seen the reviews that say it pulls better than a Gen II Busa in a 60 to 80 5th gear roll on, perhaps this is true, but you should NOT have to boil a 1300cc i4 to come away from traffic at a stop light who ever programmed this ecu should be sent to the showers (not in the 1940 German way but no hot water for them either).
After about an hour I was back at Max’s and I asked if there was a way of getting some restriction out of the lower revs and was Told NO NO and No.
My overall impression of this bike is that first it is Beautiful to look at I know it is heresy but I think it is one of the prettiest bikes in its class. The technology available is very nice and the brakes and suspension make it an easy bike to ride and I suspect it would ride well over distances.
Sadly all of that is over shadowed by a profoundly neutered drive train that it feels like my Goldwing will spank it stop light to stop light.
Honestly as pretty as this bike is if the Technology is important to you at the same price point I can’t help but point out Honda’s VFR1200 is is a better overall performer.
The Hayabusa may be a bit less sophisticated but neither the VFR1200 or the BMW K1300S offer enough to make me want to step away from it yet.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Thanks for sharing, I've wondered about this bike as a possibility for me
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Interesting. How did you notice the ABS? I would never say a BMW sales Rep didn't know what they are selling, but I could send you to a few people that might explain that bike better....
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Interesting. How did you notice the ABS? I would never say a BMW sales Rep didn't know what they are selling, but I could send you to a few people that might explain that bike better....
What I meant by noticing the ABS was that under heavy breaking (I was deliberately trying to lock the brakes) I could feel the threshhold at which the system took over. I could't on either the Honda VFR1200 or the Ducati Mutlistrada
The system worked quite well it was in my rlative decision just a bit less seamless than Honda or Ducati. I felt like Greg did a good job reviewing the bike, and it is a likable machine. If I were coming off and Cruiser it would be impressive. My daily commuters are a B King and a Turbo O5 Busa with a Brembo Conversion, though and sadly the Neutered low end on the BMW makes it a non starter for me.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
sfarson
On a Ride

Moto: Two Wheels

Perhaps coming from the turbo Busa, the K13S needs a little different throttle management given its gearing. A quick glance at the MCN specs page notes the K13S has essentially the same 0-60mph speed (2.79sec) as the '99 (2.76) and '08 (2.78) Busa.

What has always impressed me with the K12S/K13S is how the bike delivers the nums with a shaft drive, and all those other BMW amenities.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Perhaps coming from the turbo Busa, the K13S needs a little different throttle management given its gearing. A quick glance at the MCN specs page notes the K13S has essentially the same 0-60mph speed (2.79sec) as the '99 (2.76) and '08 (2.78) Busa.

What has always impressed me with the K12S/K13S is how the bike delivers the nums with a shaft drive, and all those other BMW amenities.
Honestly the low end is so profoundly neutered that until you reach 5k the bike might as well be 750. Yes if you can boil it you can get a good 0-60 time. That is not my issue I was out today on my B King and while certainly not as refined and the k1300s. The torque is there at all rpms. For me to go to the K1300S someone would have to show me a solid way around the the restriction in the Lower Gears. It is really a shame because this could be a great bike if someone would drag the the programmers into the back room and slap the Big Brother out of them. When it gets past the artificial restrictions this bike really does perform, but at average riding speeds this is a gutless machine . I am not kidding when I say My stock Goldwing is more fun stop light to stop light
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I looked at the K1300S(and R) when I bought the bus, but I can't get over the styling and the insrumentation. The tach is tiny, and hard to read for such a fast bike.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

You took it out for an hour and didn't buy it?

I woulda beat ur ass if I was a salesperson. lmao

Did it have A/C? Radio? Traction control? lol

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You took it out for an hour and didn't buy it?

I woulda beat ur ass if I was a salesperson. lmao

Did it have A/C? Radio? Traction control? lol
I took it for an hour Traction Control yes, no I didn't buy it the sales guy was actually who said take it for a good ride. I will go see the 1600LT when it comes out. But BMW currently does not make a bike I want. (which is not to say they make great bikes) In the Case of the K1300S it comes in well behind a Gen2 Busa a ZX14 and even the most hideous B King. Simply too over regulated for my tastes