Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Events

View Poll Results: Will you stay at the Blairsville Holiday Inn for the meet in Suches GA May 8-10?
Yes I'm staying there 13 43.33%
No, I'm either not coming or will have other accomodations. 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #211
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Straight shot to Suches is 600 miles for me. That's all interstate- which I won't do. I'm working on a plan to ride down to visit my brother in NC, then ride over to GA. Looks like ~8 hours to NC, and another 5 to GA- according to google maps. I won't be at the posted limit though

Trying to decide if I'll wear my two-piece all the way down, or just riding jeans and leather jacket. Either way, I probably only need the saddlebags, not the top bag. I pack light. Don't know accommodations yet, so I may have a sleeping bag and tent strapped across the top.

I have a Stop'n'Go ATV kit with CO2. Fits perfectly in the tailsection under the seat. You can see all their stuff here. Mine just has the "licorice sticks," reamer, tool, and CO2 The only time I've used it was to give a bicyclist some CO2. I finally found a local Ski/Bike shop that has refills- something like $1.50 for a 16g.

Not sure what additional tools would be good to have. Definitely zip ties! Stuff to clean/lube the chain, maybe remove wheels and fairings. I'm sure a kickstand puck is a no-brainer, and I finally got one. Always have a cargo net and a couple rags and bungee cord in the tail.

Oh yeah- CAMERA! I need a new one. Turns out my micro tank bag in the cold with the vibration kills them Who'da thunk? So it will get packed in the saddlebags with soft stuff this time.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #212
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

i know of quite a few people that carry this compact air pump http://directlineparts.com/product.a...1&ID=507503745

and I've heard you can get the same thing at Wal-mart too.

I've got this little plug kit, haven't had to use it though so don't know how well this type plug would work.
http://directlineparts.com/product.a...1&ID=507503745

For tools, I usually just carry the stock tool kit that came with the bike and a set of metric ball allen wrenches that should take care of most minor repairs.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #213
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I will def look into that. We got clobbered by the rain riding to the Cf rally in sept and my feet and hands were soaked. The rest of my gear held up well , and i had my track gloves in the car my gf was driving so i had a dry pair for the weekend.

Tom
Yeh we did get quite wet, but honestly for the most part my $10 home depot rainsuit worked wonders, my gloves were damp, and so were my boots, but other than that I was alright. Plus that was just about the worst rain I can ever imagine riding in unless we were going through a hurricane.

As far as the repair kit/emergency stuff... Stuff that I would normally take with me include

-chain lube
-bicycle tire pump (it does work enough to get me to a gas station)
-Tire repair kit
-an extra set of generic cables
-zip ties
-small tool bag
-gerber
-flashlight
-small rubber hose
-spare key zip tied to sub frame (very hidden and hard to get to)
-2x rachet straps
Old 01-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #214
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Yeh we did get quite wet, but honestly for the most part my $10 home depot rainsuit worked wonders, my gloves were damp, and so were my boots, but other than that I was alright. Plus that was just about the worst rain I can ever imagine riding in unless we were going through a hurricane.

As far as the repair kit/emergency stuff... Stuff that I would normally take with me include

-chain lube
-bicycle tire pump (it does work enough to get me to a gas station)
-Tire repair kit
-an extra set of generic cables
-zip ties
-small tool bag
-gerber
-flashlight
-small rubber hose
-spare key zip tied to sub frame (very hidden and hard to get to)
-2x rachet straps
my trip was through Ike to be exact...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #215
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Ike sucked.

The ride to the CF rally last year had me following what I could barely make out as a red light, no matter how close or far I was from Tommy all I could see was a faint red glow.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #216
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

yeah I was in northern AR riding down to FL... fuck'n SOAKED... 3hrs of absolute solid rain... I had to ride with my visor open and my head down to just look over the wind screen as I couldn't go fast enough to get the wind to clean my visor... and wiping it just made it 10x worse.

then... got down into mississippi and it was hot as a motherfucker... yeah my gear smelled awesome!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #217
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

I've ridden in some heavy rain. Wet feet, wet hands, soggy crotch. My head and upper body weren't bad except where the vents let water in. As long as I have dry clothes where I'm going, I don't much care. Now, hydroplaning bothers me! I love passing cagers in bad weather
Old 01-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #218
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
I've ridden in some heavy rain. Wet feet, wet hands, soggy crotch. My head and upper body weren't bad except where the vents let water in. As long as I have dry clothes where I'm going, I don't much care. Now, hydroplaning bothers me! I love passing cagers in bad weather
yeah I'll bet... never had that sensation while riding... and honestly... hope I never do!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #219
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
you'll want a tire plug kit, first aid kit, cell phone, bike air pump if ya can... and a map. I also like keep'n a little snack incase I brake down... but as you guys aren't really going BFE the first 4 should be good.
Hey ebbs, you should tell all the CFers what not to do when you get a flat tire

And the frog togs work great! Had them on, hood up under my helmet, and plastic bags over my feet in my boots. Only thing that got wet was my hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #220
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
yeah I'll bet... never had that sensation while riding... and honestly... hope I never do!
I hope you don't. My front wheel lifted, and I had to slow down to get it back on the pavement. Had the wonderful choice of riding in ruts full of water, or center lane oil slick. Got lots of crazy looks