Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Tried the Honda Gromm (full review)

Neat fucking little bike. I really have nothing else to say.

But I will. This bike is really cool. Its almost a full on street bike, but still manages to be a pit bike at the same time. Its small, nimble, fun, and it is just plain a hoot to ride. It turns in fast as all hell can wheelie on demand and stoppies are just barely too easy to start. The engine is pretty small so dont expect to go over 50mph, and really 45 isn't exactly a feasible speed unless you are on that mythical highway the Gromm will never see. Bellow 45 the thing is a monster.

I got a chance to ride the local MSF instructors bike while they were on their lunch break, and I never left the course. But damn was it fun going through all the MSF basic course skills tests on it. The bike ate up every part of the course. Really I would love the bike if they would have put in a 250cc engine rather than the miniscule 125. Possibly a laydown version of the CBR250 single cylinder thumper.

There are really 4 groups of people who the Gromm will be perfect for:

1. Someone who got a DUI and is only allowed to ride a scooter (I believe it is registered as a scooter)
2. People who never leave the city and want something small enough to fit into an elevator so the bike doesnt have to live outside
3. People with more money than they know what to do with and dont want to be seen on a lowly pit bike
4. People taking the MSF course, and only during the course

Overall I give it two thumbs up, but I really never expect to own one, and as much fun as the little thing is, there are better and cheaper bikes out there that fill the same niche. Need a farm/pit bike? Get a damn pit bike, a super moto or a dirt bike. Need a small city bike thats good on gas then buy a scooter. This thing tries to fill the gap between a super moto, a scooter, and a pit bike and does all fairly well. I just cant see any reason why someone would need a bike that fills all three of those areas at the same time.

It seems to me that Honda has designed a hole in their lineup then filled it with the perfect bike to fill that gap. it really is a fun bike, just not one I would ever own.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
goof2
AMA Supersport

I would definitely get this over a Ruckus for less than a $400 increase. That said I'm not in the market for either one though.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Was waiting for something like this since seeing your post on Facebook... Thanks.

Pretty much exactly what I imagined... Maybe it would make sense to pick one up after the discount that comes from a couple of years and a kneecap or two (injecting some personal experience here)...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
CasterTroy

Smutdaddy ( Lenny) has one.

He lives in Miami....the PERFECT city for one of these....where even 5 miles out from downtown you can't possibly got over 45 even on the hiway

I hate seeing him continually post about this little bastard. I want one SO bad...but I'm too big for it
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

How big are you? I am 6'1" and I use to ride the piss out of a fiddy.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
CasterTroy

6'-1" as well...but have to buy from the "Husky" rack
Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Funny thing; I'm considering one as a pit bike. If it will fit in the back of a Mazda 5, upright, then I might do it.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Funny thing; I'm considering one as a pit bike. If it will fit in the back of a Mazda 5, upright, then I might do it.
It should fit
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
It should fit
I thought that it might, with the mirrors removed. If I get what I'm thinking of for my next vehicle it would definitely fit (a Transit Connect).

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Bad ass.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote