Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default New tires and brakes

I've got over 75K miles on my old air-cooled Suzuki GS1000. I've only had it on a highway a few times. Almost all street and backroads. At only 5K miles on a set of tires, I've had 15 sets of tires. IRC, Continental, Michelin, Metzeler, and Pirelli. All were Bias-ply with a tube. I love the Avon Azaro radial tires on my CBR and decided to see what Avon makes in bias-ply.

I got the Avon AM26 RoadRiders after reading this review:http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/av...res-review.htm. I've put 800 twisty miles on them and think they are the best yet. I got caught in the rain the other day (first rain in three months), and the tires were excellent. I will get them again.

While I had the rear wheel off, I noticed the brake pads were real thin. Like 1/16-inch. I had got those no-name pads off ebay. It's amazing how many parts are on ebay for a 33-year-old motorcycle. Anyway, I have EBC pads on the front and went with a name brand for the rear, Ferodo. I have about 600 miles on the Ferodo's now and they are terrific. The shadow of the pad on the left shows how thin it was compared to the new pad on the right. If you use your rear brakes, these Ferodo pads would make a good replacement.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

It's always a nice feeling to put in a few wrench turns on your machine.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote