Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

I "blundered" into motorcyling more than a decade ago after helping a friend rebuild his GPZ750 Turbo. It was one of those "the universe is trying to tell you something" sorts of deals that had me start out on a P-o-S EX500 (Sportbike). Riding it in craped-out condition, rebuilding it, then learning how to ride it "right" put me in a place/mindset/experience-base to move onto an Aprilia Falco (Bigger, MUCH faster Sport Touring bike). Wrong. Big mistake.

I never knew I had an adrenaline junkie evil twin. Enough common sense, and a real "what do I really enjoy about riding" analysis led me to the proverbial Blue KoolAid (a.k.a. BMW). Its an odd thing to realize that your bike can be a reflection of your state of mind or happiness with life.

While a wonderful recreational bike, an R80 ('Standard'/naked motorcycle - also learning more and more about the mechanics of a motorcycle - it was a main engine bearings out complete rebuild project) was unfortunately not happy as a commuter bike in the Texas Summers. Through another one of those "universe is talking to you LOUDLY" things, I was lead to a K75S (Sport Touring Bike)- for me the "perfect" motorcycle: Enough sport to keep the 'junkie' entertained, yet tranquil and relaxed to just enjoy the ride and the day, and it won't overheat even on a 100+ degree day, sitting at idle (though your shins may be cooked to medium-well).

Some get off the street and onto the dirt. Some get off the dirt and onto the street. Some just migrate to a track. Some start out and stay on the street. Why do any of us ride what we do? You might as well analyze the logic as to why any of us have the friends/SO's/spouses we have as well.

Last edited by JoshuaTree; 02-22-2011 at 06:33 PM..
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote