Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
lagerdrinker
banned user

Default suspension setup

Ok to start my bike is a 02 gsxr750 mostly stock and daily commuted. it feels great and rides great. i bought the bike used and dont have any idea how to check if the suspension is to be set. sometimes it feels too soft and other times over dampened. I know the suspension is adjustable for all that but how/where to start? how to check preload and all that?
Bike isnt set up for track but i figured this would be the best place to post this question.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerdrinker View Post
Ok to start my bike is a 02 gsxr750 mostly stock and daily commuted. it feels great and rides great. i bought the bike used and dont have any idea how to check if the suspension is to be set. sometimes it feels too soft and other times over dampened. I know the suspension is adjustable for all that but how/where to start? how to check preload and all that?
Bike isnt set up for track but i figured this would be the best place to post this question.
RTFM... seriously... a lot of bikes have charts in the manual that tells you how to set it up... That's at least a good place to start... Otherwise, pay someone to do it... I've heard nothing but stories of amazement from EVERYONE who's had their suspension properly set up by an expert.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Start out by setting the static sag for your weight. In my opinion, this step is skipped way too often. Setting the sag is the foundation for a good handling machine. If you don't know how, do a search. There are probably a gozillion articles on how to set the sag. Once the sag is set, follow OSP's advice and, using the owner's manual as a guide, start turning clickers. In the past, I always started in the middle of the adjustments, and worked back and forth until I was happy. Its a long and time consuming process, so be patient and make a lot of notes.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

check these links
static sag
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_geek/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

random suspension articles
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/motor...ion/index.html
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Basically if you have never done this before, I wouldn't rely on videos or manuals. Find someone locally that would be willing to teach you what to look for. Setting up your suspension for you is very important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
lagerdrinker
banned user

like i said i bought bike used. I didnt get a owners manual and dont have a service manual yet. I figured if anyone had a good method for adjusting i would follow it and see if it helped.
Paying someone to do it isnt bad but ill never learn that way, i want to learn about my bike and get to know it a little better.

let me correct myself. I didnt mention it but i bought bike used a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by lagerdrinker; 03-30-2008 at 11:24 AM..
lagerdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

And I would use this as a guidline to start off

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...ngs/index.html

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Take copious notes. Write down where you started and exactly how many turns you are twisting things. You want to be able to get it back to stock in case you royally fuck it up and it handles like shit.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Take copious notes. Write down where you started and exactly how many turns you are twisting things. You want to be able to get it back to stock in case you royally fuck it up and it handles like shit.
And, take pictures. Digital is relatively FREE, so click away.

Spanner wrenches are your friend.

Go buy a Haynes or Clymer Service Manual - they will have stock settings in them that can get it to stock. Then, work from there. By work, I mean... it will be a work in progress until you get it where you like it. Personally, I don't care much for stock settings, I like to be able to feel the pavement.

I've learned the most from watching Roger (my suspension guy) at the track - most welcome questions and will let you watch what they do. He charges $30-$40 per bike... clicks away on it, go ride... clicks again, go ride... lather rinse repeat until it's where you want it. Be aware, each time you change something the bike may respond vastly different than it did before. Ride accordingly.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerdrinker View Post
My original intention was to get help from people who know the specific vehicle.
Oh, I completely get that. But, I see the other side of it from a forum management perspective. The suspension on a GSXR isn't anything that is specific to a GSXR. There are things that can make it easier to adjust (read = Ohlins) like preload adjusters on the forks...

The videos posted should be rather helpful.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote