Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
It reads the gauge pressure....do you see an L or H there?
Plenty of gauges have numbers on them.......But the needle still stays in one position all the time. Or if it moves, it moves slow as molasses. Get a real gauge like a VDO.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Well my V8 surely doesn't hesitate and didn't even when it was stock. The interior could be better for sure but really isn't that bad and besides...I bought it for the looks which I like...the power to weight...the handling...and the stopping power and it was well worth the money in all of those areas back in 2002. With modifications I have improved it and it's still a blast to drive. The sound of the exhaust in itself is intoxicating imho.

The car has never been back to the dealership either. Most GM service departments do suck. I've heard horror story after horror story about dealing with them.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Well my V8 surely doesn't hesitate and didn't even when it was stock. .
Hesitate as in takes longer than a 4-cylinder to rev up and then rev back down........Too much reciprocating mass inside a big engine........And they waste energy shaking the car and stretching the motor mounts rather than putting the power down.

None of the V8's I've driven felt like they were as "connected" to the throttle as a good 4-cylinder is.

Yeah I know, how a car performs is more important than how it feels when you blip the gas, but I grew up driving 4's so that's the type of feeling I prefer.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-11-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Plenty of gauges have numbers on them.......But the needle still stays in one position all the time. Or if it moves, it moves slow as molasses. Get a real gauge like a VDO.
Yes the gauges are buffered, but the pressure is reading what the pressure is after the buffereing period, which is only a few seconds. Have you ever conntected an oil pressure gauge to an engine? It will bounce around a bit. I'd rather have the guages buffered.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Yes the gauges are buffered, but the pressure is reading what the pressure is after the buffereing period, which is only a few seconds. Have you ever conntected an oil pressure gauge to an engine? It will bounce around a bit. I'd rather have the guages buffered.
WTF is the point of buffering?

I put a VDO mechanical oil pressure gauge on my Rabbit GTI (it didn't have a sensor, you had to hook up an oil hose to the back of it), and that thing was awesome how it responded. At startup it would stay pretty high for awhile, since cold oil is thicker......But after a few minutes it would start dropping down as the oil heated up. Eventually it would drop down to say 20-30 psi at idle, but then rise to 60-70 psi when you blip the throttle. I don't remember the exact pressure but that's not the point. Why would you want it buffered? A true enthusiast wants to know exactly what's happening when it happens.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-11-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Its nice that they offer it. They finally have an answer for the Mustang GT500.
Unfortunately, the Camaro looks like 'that' but that is one hell of a drivetrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

^^^^True...and I didn't even think of that comparison.^^^^
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
goof2
AMA Supersport

I can certainly understand reservations about the interior but complaints about the price, weight, and fuel economy of this car are ridiculous to me. This car should have similar interior size and performance to the BMW M6 but will cost half as much, have more power, weigh the same (or less), and get similar (or better) fuel economy. The Camaro should also hold up to the similarly priced (and previously mentioned) GT500 Mustang. I believe both the GT500 and the M6 have sold pretty well.

All the complaints about this ZL1 makes me think there are significantly better options available, but I can't come up with any.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I can certainly understand reservations about the interior but complaints about the price, weight, and fuel economy of this car are ridiculous to me. This car should have similar interior size and performance to the BMW M6 but will cost half as much, have more power, weigh the same (or less), and get similar (or better) fuel economy. The Camaro should also hold up to the similarly priced (and previously mentioned) GT500 Mustang. I believe both the GT500 and the M6 have sold pretty well.

All the complaints about this ZL1 makes me think there are significantly better options available, but I can't come up with any.
The only real competitor is the GT500. If you can deal with the awkward styling of the Camaro then you end up with the same issue that buyers of Corvettes faced for years.

"I'm spending how much money for THIS interior?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Well, unlike the M6, it isn't a luxury vehicle.......so why does it need to weigh that much?

And btw I think the M6 is overweight as well.

Having a big engine doesn't necessarily require a heavy car to go with it. Even an engine like that probably weighs only, what, 200-400 lbs?