PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx View Post
Yes i'm Sure his 8 world Championships mean shit to him

More here..in MotoUSA now lol

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/555/19...he-Desert.aspx
He wants to be the GOAT (which is a position which will never be vacated by John Surtees in my opinion) and getting upstaged by Bayliss as rider of the year got to him. Why else would he make that claim? If he is 8 world championships are that important what does he have to prove in a WSBK show-down?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
He wants to be the GOAT (which is a position which will never be vacated by John Surtees in my opinion) and getting upstaged by Bayliss as rider of the year got to him. Why else would he make that claim? If he is 8 world championships are that important what does he have to prove in a WSBK show-down?
John Surtess is a legend i'll give you that..not the GOAT..thats Rossi brother.

who cares about prove...how about just for fun?
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx View Post
John Surtess is a legend i'll give you that..not the GOAT..thats Rossi brother.

who cares about prove...how about just for fun?
Surtees gets my vote. Simply because he could have stayed in 500cc and continued winning, but he chose to switch to F1 and he won that too. Surtees had a combined 8 championships between 350cc, 500cc and F1. He's also the first person to win the Isle of Mann TT 3 times in a row, while it was still a part of the GP Circuit. The Nurburgring, Isle of Mann, that was SERIOUS racing. He is also the only person to win Championships on both two and four wheels. Sorry, but Rossi doesn't even compete IMO.

But yeah, you could be right, he could be doing it just for fun.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #24
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Surtees gets my vote. Simply because he could have stayed in 500cc and continued winning, but he chose to switch to F1 and he won that too. Surtees had a combined 8 championships between 350cc, 500cc and F1. He's also the first person to win the Isle of Mann TT 3 times in a row, while it was still a part of the GP Circuit. The Nurburgring, Isle of Mann, that was SERIOUS racing. He is also the only person to win Championships on both two and four wheels. Sorry, but Rossi doesn't even compete IMO.

But yeah, you could be right, he could be doing it just for fun.
if its just for fun or charity or something, thats cool-but as far as GOAT when it comes to motorcycle racing, the fact that surtees won on four wheels shouldnt be a factor. not saying rossi over surtees, but unless u meant GOAT in motorsports period, who cares what he did on 4wheels...
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #25
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
What are they looking to prove? Who the better rider is or what the better bike is? If they're going for rider, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use a bike that neither of them races on with identical bits and pieces, with the only difference being rider setup and rider? Otherwise they're just going to be subject to "Rossi couldn't win because he races a completely different bike, while Bayliss has is already familiar with the bike." or "Rossi won because Yamaha gave him some trick parts that most of the factory racers don't get." Or worse "waaaaaaaaaaaah, tires."

Put them both on a stock Kawasaki. Then let them race.
I agree with this guy.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23770,00.html

Bayliss want 1 million quid to race;

WORLD Superbike champion Troy Bayliss has put a price tag of Stg1 million ($A2.1 million) on a proposed match race against world MotoGP titleholder Valentino Rossi.

Rossi is reportedly keen on the challenge but Bayliss has been firm in his decision to walk away from motorcycle racing completely.

Bayliss retired at the end of this season after clinching his third Superbike world crown and is eyeing a possible switch to V8 Supercars.

But he has left a small window open to the Rossi suggestion and believes the Italian Yamaha star could easily be competitive on the different machine.

"I spoke with Valentino and he told me that he wants to race me really badly,'' Bayliss told motorcyclenews.com. "Yamaha have got a strong bike so it would be no problem at all for him to get up to speed.

"It wouldn't be so hard for him to be competitive on a Superbike. Valentino Rossi is Valentino Rosssi.

"(But) I'm feeling happy that the last time I rode I was world champion plus I won both races and beat all the other guys out there.

"For me to do it I'd need something like Stg1 million and that's not going to happen.''

Rossi, who this year regained his world MotoGP title from Australian Casey Stoner, has described Superbikes as the most entertaining form of motorcycle racing.

He has since reportedly been keen to arrange a head-to-head duel with the Australian.

The race was tipped to take place during the second round of the World Superbike series in Qatar on March 14. The MotoGP season does not start until April 12 in Qatar.

But Fiat Yamaha has played down reports of the one-off clash.

"Valentino has given a couple of interviews since (the final race in) Valencia where he has spoken of his passion for World Superbikes and how much he enjoys that series,'' a spokesperson said.

"There is no doubt it would be a very exciting and epic battle but there is no plan by Yamaha to let Valentino race in World Superbikes.''
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Go Bayliss.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #28
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Rossi wants a Yammie over a Honda he gets a Yammie.
Rossi wants Bridgestone he gets Bridgestone.
Rossi wants to race WSBK? I don't really think he is serious or he would have a ride there.
Rossi wants to show up Bayliss? As if it is a challenge to beat a guy one day out of the year? Specially one not racing regularly? Nah, I don't think that's it. Sure the Italian press hurt his feelings, sure he wants to see if he can tempt Bayliss out to play, sure he likes to cause a spectacle, sure he likes to play on F1 cars, WSBKs, Rally Cars, but this is just a winter time chat up. Lull between the storms. When MotoGP testing resumes he will have his hands full again...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
if its just for fun or charity or something, thats cool-but as far as GOAT when it comes to motorcycle racing, the fact that surtees won on four wheels shouldnt be a factor. not saying rossi over surtees, but unless u meant GOAT in motorsports period, who cares what he did on 4wheels...
If you want to talk two-wheels only, then my vote still goes to Surtees, IoM and Nurburgring, that's a whole different animal in racing. Plus, if you limit it to only two wheels then he's not the GOAT, he's the "two-wheeled GOAT".