Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #41
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And how was he (the grad asst) supposed to know whether the cops had been called? What's he supposed to do, keep bugging Paterno or the AD, saying "Have you called the cops yet?". Even if they had, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for them to comment anyway.
seriously? considering HE WAS A WITNESS... the first fucking thing the cops are going to do is ask for the witness!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #42
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
seriously? considering HE WAS A WITNESS... the first fucking thing the cops are going to do is ask for the witness!
I was thinking the same thing. When you witness a man raping a kid the cops are going to want to have a chat. Fine, this guy decided to be a pussy first and reported it through channels. A few months goes by and he hasn't heard from the cops he shouldn't follow up through channels, he should call the cops himself and ask if they are aware of that kid rape he saw a few months back.

What you don't do is assume "Hey, it must have been a midget. My bad." and forget about it for the better part of a decade.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Some real internet tough guys in here, as always.

For any of you to claim you KNOW for a fact what you'd do in any given situation is a load of bull, especially since none of us have ever been part of a college football staff (And here it comes: "What difference is that supposed to make" )
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #44
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

For any of you to claim you KNOW for a fact what you'd do in any given situation is a load of bull, especially since none of us have ever been part of a college football staff (And here it comes: "What difference is that supposed to make" )
What's tough about ensuring a child rape you witnessed is reported? This isn't "If somebody ripped me off on Craigslist I'd hunt their ass down".

What I will claim to know is I would not be able to live with myself if I witnessed an act of pedophilia, the perpetrator was walking around free, and I did practically nothing about it for years. I don't see a grey area with this situation, but if you believe you could find some and go on with your life that's your problem.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #45
Homeslice
Elitist

Well I guess several people at Penn State saw a grey area, and none of us know what it is. Unless we're going to assume it was simply about protecting their careers and the program --- Which very well might be true, but still pure speculation.

Hindsight is great when you're just reading about it in the papers.

Last edited by Homeslice; 11-12-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Old 11-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #46
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
Point given
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #47
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I guess several people at Penn State saw a grey area, and none of us know what it is. Unless we're going to assume it was simply about protecting the school and nothing else --- Which might be true, but still pure speculation.

Hearing about it is one thing. You run the risk of destroying someone completely with no direct knowledge that something happened. I can see people finding a grey area there, though as "several people at Penn State" are discovering most of the public won't.

I'm pretty good at finding grey areas in just about everything. I can see plenty that are specific to a college football program too. NCAA violations, who cares? Steroid use by players, so what? Coaches banging students of legal age, have at it.

Actually witnessing an act of pedophilia and doing next to nothing about it is another issue. If I directly know that someone is an active pedophile, in a college football program or not, and I can't find any reason that even comes close making me think it is OK. You talk about hindsight, what is the "If I'd only known" that the benefit of hindsight brings in this instance?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #48
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:

Witnessing a rape and reporting it has nothing to do with the job you hold, your employer, or any other nonsense.

The fact is, I do know for a fact that I would report it, though fuck chain of command that shit goes to the authorities. I've actually been witness to a couple sexual assaults, comes with my job.

here's how it was handled each time
1. send someone for help
2. stop the assault (chased one off, apprehended the other)
3. inform the authorities myself (both times they were already in route)
4. give my statement of events
5. inform my chain of command
6. testify in courts martial.

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 11-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Forgot COC
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #49
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When you witness a man raping a kid the cops are going to want to have a chat. Fine, this guy decided to be a pussy first and reported it through channels. A few months goes by and he hasn't heard from the cops he shouldn't follow up through channels, he should call the cops himself and ask if they are aware of that kid rape he saw a few months back.

What you don't do is assume "Hey, it must have been a midget. My bad." and forget about it for the better part of a decade.
No doubt, except replace "a few months go by" with at most "a few days."

And Homeslice, There's no grey area big enough for this one.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #50
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Well I guess several people at Penn State saw a grey area, and none of us know what it is. Unless we're going to assume it was simply about protecting their careers and the program --- Which very well might be true, but still pure speculation.

I think thats the case here. People were trying to protect their careers as well as "the program" in the past when a college was busted for something they usualy cleaned house.

I think that if I witnessed the rape and didnt try to actively stop it by either intervening or getting the cops there right away i couldnt live with myself. I have seen/treated enough rape/sexual assault victims to know tha tthe trauma emotionally is so severe that if I could do something to prevent them from enduring that it has to be done.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote