Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #241
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

And the other thing is, people in Special Ops receive certain "intangibles" including camradere and bragging rights that other jobs don't get. I'm quite sure that many of them would do it even for only half the pay.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #242
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't either, more power to him, I feel bad he is in that position, but he chose that life.
He would have had to not only chose once, but multiple times to reach Seal Team 6. It was also not just making those choices, but actively pursuing that life throughout his entire career to reach that point. He also had other options besides carrying a gun, the story itself says he could have stayed in the Navy in a support role, rather than as a shooter, to fulfill his 20 but he chose not to. I'm not diminishing or taking away anything he has done, but if my math is correct this guy is in his mid 30s. Is the government expected to give him a comfortable retirement for the next 40+ years?

Everything I have read is those who are in the Seals, particularly those in Team 6, are generally very intelligent. They also tend to have Bachelors and Masters degrees already. If they want to get more education, if they took advantage of the GI Bill, they can have at least a portion of that subsidized too.

The article presents the premise that corporations should be actively pursuing this type of person but aren't. I know of some companies that do look for people like this specifically. There are also headhunter organizations that specialize in dealing with former Officers and NCOs. Before he retired my father used to work with them to fill vacancies since he was much more likely to get someone smart who could be counted on rather than the typical Gen X or Y person who requires a ton of attention, direction, and reassurance.

I respect this guy and what he has done. I also think the author is using his story to try and sell a greater message that may not necessarily be applicable to this guy.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote