Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default Moving from Philadelphia Suburbs to Seattle Area

I have to start making plans to move from the Philly Suburbs to Seattle area. Need advice on the most direct route and things to see along that route. Two big sights I'd like to see are the Gateway Arch and Mt. Rushmore.

I've recently received an offer letter from Lockheed for more money, less travel, and better education benefits than my current position. Unfortunately, no relocation reimbursement available. Don't have a solid start date yet, but the most reasonable means appears to be a self-move. I should be able to get everything my wife and I need into a 6'x12' Uhaul and the back of my Tacoma. A lot of stuff will be thrown out or given to family here before I go. Google Maps says 42 hour drive time, so I figure 4 days at 10 hours, or 5 days at 8 hours plus another day added on for a safety net. 8 hour days should give us some time to see a few sights on the way.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Not sure about the drive there, but my cousin has been living is Seattle for years. I can get the lowdown on things to do, places to see, etc on Seattle!!!

BTW, where do you live in Philly?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Rushmore is actually a let down, I go with Devil's Tower over it.

Definitely hit up Yellowstone.

Craters of the Moon is worth a stop and a good route for an interstate break. You will be doing interstate speeds through that area though.

Bonneville Salt Flats is something I want to see, but a major detour if you go to Yellowstone.

Tons of stuff in Colorado.

Just depends on what route you want to go and what you want to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Two big sights I'd like to see are the Gateway Arch and Mt. Rushmore.
I suppose if you must, you could visit the arch but, it's a huge disappointment. It's a cool feat of engineering and all the history stuff in the area in the base is interesting but, don't waste your time riding to the top. It's a cramped little elevator (think smart car only not as roomy!) with a design they brag about that was actually a pretty stupid design! Once you get to the top, all it is is a narrow room with little windows that you have to stretch to see out. Definitely not worth it in my opinion.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote