Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #51
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
get comfortable with the throttle....i made that mistake 24 hours after getting my buell and i wound up with a broken ankle and fuct-up buell race exhaust....
HOLY SHIT!
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #52
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
What's the worst piece of advice or riding lore you were given?

Mine was; "Don't use the front brake; it'll throw you over the handlebars". this was in the days of transition from drum fronts to single solid disks; about 30% of the braking power of today's stuff. Sillyness.
I rode with a newbie once. He skidded through a stop light because he only used his rear brake (and he was going WAY too fast for the road). He was lucky nobody was coming or he'd have been done. I asked why he wasn't able to stop, because I was (yes, I was going too fast too). I discovered he wasn't using his front brake because he was afraid it would flip him. I showed him I could stop using ONLY my front brake, without lifting the rear tire off the ground. He tried it and was amazed.

What's the best advice I can give newbies? Don't panic. Look where you want to go, trust your tires and your brakes. If you are looking at the object you are afraid of, you will hit said object. If you look where you actually want to go (which is to the side of said object), you will miss the object you fear. Your tires will do more than you can imagine. Obviously, don't just grab a handful of front brake, but you must use it as it provides most of the stopping power of your bike.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 03-08-2008 at 11:57 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #53
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!!! Find someone with experience and the patience to mentor you. Go out ALONE or with your mentor and ride familiar stretches of road or in deserted parking lots to hone your skills. Take the time to really get familiar with the controls and what they do,down to the turning signal switch! Try to understand how the machine works and the basic principles involved;countersteering,brakes,suspension,drive train,etc. For god's sake get someone to help you learn how to maintain your bike and READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL!!! If I see another 600 with a rusty chain dragging the ground, bald tires,and brakes squealing at every stop sign!
Btw,I don't agree with learning on the track as that's how my '95 FZR1000 got totalled. Some newbie doing 40mph in a 80-100mph blind corner! I found out later that this kid have only owned the bike a couple weeks.....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #54
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

1. Take the MSF
2. Wear your fucking gear
3. Practice x3
4. Study
5. No matter how good you think you're getting, you're still really slow
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #55
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
We want newbs. Hell if it wasn't for TWF I wouldn't of started out on a SV and worked my way up to the rider I am today. I want to educate people and teach them the right ways to get into this world. Let's not run em off to kill themselves. However, we can only help the ones that want to listen. Darwin helps us here.
yup changed my mind because I grew up around the NMB area and dragstrips stretched.slammed,chrome which I still like but I want a performance machine before I start working on a trailer queen but now i'm hating life my bitch is still fun but I think a 600cc with upgrades and soft rubber my skill level will improve even more but a new bike is not looking so good with these house payments I have now that I didn't have before but i'm gonna just stack my chips and pay cash on a nice used 600cc beast there are a million on craiglist and ebay but may take me till the end of the summer to get the loot

Old 03-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #56
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Never really got advice when I first started riding. When I started getting more and more serious about getting fast, I did a lot of reading on form, shifting and other things. Met some good guys in Vegas who helped me out a lot too.

So my suggestion would be to read and learn as much as possible.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #57
Duke238
Squid

Moto: 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250ex

Ride within your ability and know your limits. Don't ride to show off, ride for your enjoyment. And pretty much anything else that your Local Safety Course says.
Duke238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #58
Bassplayer
No, I dont play drums too

Moto: SV 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
1. Take the MSF
2. Wear your fucking gear
3. Practice x3
4. Study
5. No matter how good you think you're getting, you're still really slow
6. practice
7.practice
8.practice
9. fix your bike when NOT if you fall
10. practice
11. when you think youve mastered something... practice more.
12. upgrade equipment/gear
13. practice...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #59
felyn3
Purrrrrrrrrs!

Moto: '02 Ninja ZX6R, '02 ZR7S, '03 XT 225, '01 DR200SE

Take the MSF course.
Read books like Proficient Motorcycling (Very helpful to me when I was just starting)
LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO!!!....this was the most effective advice for me, and saved my life once when an SUV was completely in my lane in a curve once, and I was only riding about a year
Wear gear! This gal thinks guys in leathers and a helmet look much cooler and sexy than guys with a t-shirt and backwards baseball cap! (Helmets are voluntary here in PA)
And what took me too long to discover? How much fun track days are!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #60
Fastguy
Viceroy of Chewie Toys

Moto: 02 Victory V92 TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
We are here to help people before that happens.
Well, that's why I'm here. I think the most important thing for me personally is that I know that there is a lot I don't know.
(I had to re-read that a few times to make sure it made sense.)
A lot of what I learned doing track events in a car has transferred over to the bike: look ahead, look where you want to go, check your mirrors, get all your braking done before you turn, etc. Being able to read a turn and know my turn in point, apex and track out has helped considerably on the bike where in car, your margin for error is far more forgiving.
I started to be on of the fastest cars in my run groups and then one day I let a semi-pro drive my car and then I learned how little I knew about car control and how much I had to learn.
So, since I am a bike noob, I know that there is always going to be a lot to learn, even once I think I know what I am doing.
Fastguy is offline   Reply With Quote