Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #61
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Tested for spark.

Thought about that. Only checked one yesterday and I was busy all day today so I only checked the fuel pump.

Well,it could be the ignition module,advancer (or equivalent), also your bike probably has separate ignition coils (at least two anyway) so one plug may spark but the others don't. If you have fuel in the chamber and you have spark, the engine has no choice but to fire imho. Man you didn't wash it or something did you? I've seen water get into the "module" area (where the fuses and relays are) or into the ecu connections before and cause problems... You don't have a power commander do you? Make sure you check all of your fuses, relays and ecu connections.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 05-31-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #62
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Chances are, if you've got spark in one, you have spark in all four, but test all four anyway.

Someone else mentioned this, but it didn't seem likely, since, as far as I know, you haven't had the bike apart recently, but check all the vacuum lines for kinks, holes, etc.

I'd also verify that the choke cable is working.

Have you tried bump starting it? If you can get it to fire that way, that would help eliminate a lot of possible causes.

JC
Tried to push start it a couple times the day it went dead and it barely tried to start. No where near actually firing.

Havent had it apart recently but Ive been looking for any lines or hoses that dont look right and havent seen anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I figured.
Believe me, at this point if I had a way to get it there Id bring it down tomorrow or tuesday and take you up on your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well,it could be the ignition module,advancer (or equivalent), also your bike probably has separate ignition coils (at least two anyway) so one plug may spark but the others don't. If you have fuel in the chamber and you have spark, the engine has no choice but to fire imho. Man you didn't wash it or something did you? I've seen water get into the "module" area (where the fuses and relays are) or into the ecu connections before and cause problems... You don't have a power commander do you? Make sure you check all of your fuses, relays and ecu connections.
Havent washed it recently (been meaning to but havent had time lately) and no power commander. I checked the fuses and as many connections and relays as I could find. Im going to go back over all of them tomorrow.

And Im with you on if it has spark and fuel it should fire. Thats why Im starting to get real frustrated by this. It seems like it should run and that any issue should be very simple but I cant get it to.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #63
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

No friends with trucks to get it down here? How far away do you live from Lodi? Do you have a decent place to work on it? Tools?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM   #64
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
No friends with trucks to get it down here? How far away do you live from Lodi? Do you have a decent place to work on it? Tools?
The only person that had a truck around me was my uncle but he moved to florida last year. Im guessing maybe an hour or so, not for sure on that though. Its in pieces in my garage so space isnt a problem and I have a decent set of regular tools and havent run into anything yet that I couldnt do with regular hand tools on my bike, other than the home made fender eliminator that all I needed was a drill and dremel.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #65
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

My Zuk used to not wanna start from time to time. I'd change all 4 plugs and she'd fire right up. Coincidently it also ran pretty rich...and fouled plugs.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #66
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
My Zuk used to not wanna start from time to time. I'd change all 4 plugs and she'd fire right up. Coincidently it also ran pretty rich...and fouled plugs.
I think Im gonna change the plugs and fuel filter (just since the tank is off) and see if it starts. If not then itll be going to the shop. Im really starting to think its electrical and I dont want to try to find a short or whatever it is since I hate messing with that type of thing. Ive had a few people tell me they think its a short, especially since the tach jumps on its own when the bike isnt even running.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #67
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
I think Im gonna change the plugs and fuel filter (just since the tank is off) and see if it starts. If not then itll be going to the shop. Im really starting to think its electrical and I dont want to try to find a short or whatever it is since I hate messing with that type of thing. Ive had a few people tell me they think its a short, especially since the tach jumps on its own when the bike isnt even running.
Yea I wish you had the service manual because that could be a code for a particular problem. GSXRs can tell you what the problem is based on where they stop on the tach when you turn the key on...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #68
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea I wish you had the service manual because that could be a code for a particular problem. GSXRs can tell you what the problem is based on where they stop on the tach when you turn the key on...
That would be nice. For some reason Ive never seen a service manual for my bike, thats actually why I went with the haynes manual in the first place. The haynes is a great help, but it doesnt do any real troubleshooting.

I changed out the plugs this afternoon and also double checked all the hoses, lines, wires, connections, and fuses and still cant get it to run. As of right now Im just trying to find someone with a trailer or truck to get the bike to the dealer and just let them fix it and charge me out the ass for it.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #69
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

If you have a home depot near by some have trucks you can rent pretty cheap.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #70
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
If you have a home depot near by some have trucks you can rent pretty cheap.
I actually work at Home Depot but thats kind of a last resort since itd be a pain in the ass to get the bike up into the truck but its a possibility. Im seeing if I can find something with a tow hitch and see if any local uhaul has motorcycle trailers.