Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #31
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I have the HF tire changer but I don't use the bar any more I have 3 MP levers and lots of the MP rim protectors. MP=motion pro.

The link I put up talks about them. Way easier on the rims and crazy simple. The problem I had with the HF tire changer was with the rim moving in the clamps and scratching the rim. But that will never happen with the 3 levers cause you do not move them side to side like you do with the HF lever.

With the 3 levers you can do them on a small peice of carpet on the ground with no problem. You just put them at 10 12 and 2 and fold them to you. I can put on the first side with just lube and no levers when the rim is clamped on the HF stand.

I also use the MP rim protectors on the rim clamps.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
I have the HF tire changer but I don't use the bar any more I have 3 MP levers and lots of the MP rim protectors. MP=motion pro.

The link I put up talks about them. Way easier on the rims and crazy simple. The problem I had with the HF tire changer was with the rim moving in the clamps and scratching the rim. But that will never happen with the 3 levers cause you do not move them side to side like you do with the HF lever.

With the 3 levers you can do them on a small peice of carpet on the ground with no problem. You just put them at 10 12 and 2 and fold them to you. I can put on the first side with just lube and no levers when the rim is clamped on the HF stand.

I also use the MP rim protectors on the rim clamps.

Yep, I also use the rim savers on the rim clamps. I don't have a problem with the rim moving but I fucking crank that bitch down!!!

I'm thinking about getting the Mojo blocks for $30...

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #33
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra
Default save on balancing

Now that I use Dyna Beads no need for the balance cost and I take the wheels and new rubbers to a local place "The Shop" cost me like $25 to have the tires mounted no balance.

Caveman
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Now that I use Dyna Beads no need for the balance cost and I take the wheels and new rubbers to a local place "The Shop" cost me like $25 to have the tires mounted no balance.

Caveman
so they save the beads and put them in the next tire? I tried Dynabeads and didn't like them but I know quite a few people that do.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #35
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
so they save the beads and put them in the next tire? I tried Dynabeads and didn't like them but I know quite a few people that do.
What didnt you like about them? Derf and I were talking to the tire guy at that shop by TWO when we were at the rally and he was saying guys seemed happy with them, but hasnt realy herd a lot yet to say theyre the be all end all.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
What didnt you like about them? Derf and I were talking to the tire guy at that shop by TWO when we were at the rally and he was saying guys seemed happy with them, but hasnt realy herd a lot yet to say theyre the be all end all.

Tom
Disclaimer; I am not stating this to cause an argument about the benefits and/or problems with Dynabeads.

Well, first they couldn't be loaded into my bike thru the valves because I have the right angle type. So we waited until I was putting on new tires to use them. Now, I fully admit that this was probably a procedure problem on my part but it was a bit of a hassle. Then, my dumb ass and the dealer's dumb ass (he sold them to me) didn't put in enough at the rear, so my bike never lost it's imbalance. So I had to crack the bead again and put more in. Not the end of the world but a pain.

After that, yes my tires did self balance but only after a mile or so. Now that's not a big deal but I couldn't not notice it. Obviously, my riding style is a factor in this, but it always felt "funny" after hard braking/hard acceleration. I totally admit that it may have all been in my head. I also admit that I am a overly sensitive "feel" type rider who adjusts his tire pressure if it's off by over a pound! I just never liked the way it "felt".

Now my other problem seemed to be recovering the beads to re-use them in the next tire. First off, I kind of forgot about them and ended up with about half of them on the ground. If you've never seen these buggers... they're quite small and go everywhere when they are dropped! I'm sure that there is a great way to remove your tires and retain these damn things but I don't know it! Anyway, I paid $40 for a leveler and $10 for 30 6'' lead strips which should last... oh about 20+ sets of tires. I just paint the lead strips white and forget about it!

I think that Dynabeads are great for certain types of bikes/riders but I also think that there's a reason why race teams don't use them and why after over a decade on the market, they are not the preferred method of tire balancing. Heck, I just read their website and it totally makes me want to try them again!!! There is nothing better than the feel of a perfectly balanced, new tire tire IMHO!!!

Oh here's their website FYI for anyone interested. Despite my "negative" opinion of them, I encourage anyone on the fence to try them. I've heard so many people rant and rave about these things that I'm almost certain that I'll try them again at some point just to be sure that my bad experience wasn't a fluke.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html
Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #37
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm not sure about your results Tigger. But I tell ya this.. I have put them in more tires than I can count now. Granted they have all been cruisers but they are awesome. I will always run them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post

Tom
You can't re-use them. You simply have to buy more and replace them. But at like $5 for front & rear its way cheaper and simply better than standard balencing.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I'm not sure about your results Tigger. But I tell ya this.. I have put them in more tires than I can count now. Granted they have all been cruisers but they are awesome. I will always run them.

You can't re-use them. You simply have to buy more and replace them. But at like $5 for front & rear its way cheaper and simply better than standard balencing.
So it would be about $10 for me per change... one 1oz and one 2oz pack. That explains why they haven't replaced standard balancing. After equipment costs are recovered, I'll be paying about $0.35 per balance.

They claim to eliminate cupping in the front... I'm not sure how though...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #39
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

No... I mean $5 for both front and rear. the stuff is cheap...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Hey Drewpy is that Mike down in LaVergne you are talking about? I have never asked him what he charges.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote