Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Put on a new chain

After 58K and 30 years on the original chain, I decided to put on a new one. Here's a photo of the original. It's 630 chain on my 79 GS1000. One of the first bikes with O-ring chain. Back then, they were worried what chain lube would do to the O-rings, so I used 80 weight gear lube. Notice the 130 tire. That was a wide tire back then.

Yeah, that's a Works Performance shock. I also wanted to change the sprockets. Problem: How do you hold the new sprocket when you have to tighten the nut to 70 lb/ft. I used my clutch tool to hold the sprocket. The clutch tool is a vice grip with tangs for holding the edge of clutch plates while tightening the bolts.

That was the first time in 30 years that my sprocket cover has been off, so don't mind the grease. But you can see how the tangs are holding the sprocket teeth.

Here's the new DID O-ring chain and new rear sprocket. Good as new and ready for another 30 years. Notice the master link. Now that the chain doesn't make any noise, I can hear all the other noises that the bike makes.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

sweet lookin, but wheres that old CBR1000 you used to have?
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
sweet lookin, but wheres that old CBR1000 you used to have?
I took off the cylinder head and put new exhaust valves in and lapped all the valves. Then I got a CBR1000F engine with only 18K miles on it. I've just been too busy with life to do anything with the Honda.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

By the way, it was my first time using a master link. I had used my chain breaker before to press on a rivet link on my Honda. One problem with the master link is the O-rings are too fat and sassy to push the side plate down over the pins to slide the locking clip into the groove. I used a pair of needle-nose vice grips to squeeze the side plates together enough to expose the groove, and then slide the locking clip into position.

How does it work? last month the bike felt like it was surging. When I put it on the centerstand and spun the wheel, it would slow down and stop by the same couple links each time. I took it out today and there's no surging, and it feels like I got an extra 10 HP.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I usually know its time to get new chain/sprockets by a similar feeling, or a vibration from the left peg.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
By the way, it was my first time using a master link. I had used my chain breaker before to press on a rivet link on my Honda. One problem with the master link is the O-rings are too fat and sassy to push the side plate down over the pins to slide the locking clip into the groove. I used a pair of needle-nose vice grips to squeeze the side plates together enough to expose the groove, and then slide the locking clip into position.

How does it work? last month the bike felt like it was surging. When I put it on the centerstand and spun the wheel, it would slow down and stop by the same couple links each time. I took it out today and there's no surging, and it feels like I got an extra 10 HP.
http://www.motorcycle.com//products/...kets-3511.html

shows what a chain and sprockets can do for you.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
When I put it on the centerstand and spun the wheel, it would slow down and stop by the same couple links each time. I took it out today and there's no surging, and it feels like I got an extra 10 HP.
Did the same to mine this week. Feel like I have a brand new bike. No more sloppy throttle, just feels tighter and I feel much more in control. Went down one tooth, so torque is my friend again.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Notice the master link.
Just a suggestion, if you're going to run a clip-type master link, a little RTV sealant smeared over the clip, (I use the black stuff) goes a long way towards keeping them from flying off at inopportune moments.

Clean it well first with some rubbing alcohol, let the RTV sit overnight, and re-lube.

JC
Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I had a clip come off my F2 and the chain took out my water pump and destroyed both engine cases.

Buy a $60 chain press and $5 master it cost me a month of riding and $1500 to fix my bike and I had 2 friends fix it.

Before you say I did something wrong I had the manager of the service department double check it he is now a suzuki rep.

If I could find one for my CRF150r I would replace the clip in a second all the sportbikes in my garage have rivet style.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Problem: How do you hold the new sprocket when you have to tighten the nut to 70 lb/ft. I used my clutch tool to hold the sprocket. The clutch tool is a vice grip with tangs for holding the edge of clutch plates while tightening the bolts.
Couldn't you just have left it in gear? Or would it damage the transmission?
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote