Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
barely. in the same time it took the 750 to pick up 6hp (6 years) the 600 gained 16 and the 1000 grabbed 21.

in your other statement, you might be right on power. very wrong on torque, and mine is lighter
And the Buell gained 50! At the loss of 3 ft/lbs. It "only" has 82-83 now..

So, now it's down 20hp on an i4 litre. Keep in mind.. If I wanted an I4 litre. That's exactly what I would have bought. Not to mention it makes more tq off idle than the i4s do up until 11-12k rpm.

I'll point it out again, Buell makes street bikes that are race capable. In the hands of the right rider, it will more than keep up on the track. In the hands of a novice rider, it'll keep up easily on the street until you get to the highway. I don't ride much highway, we have hundreds and hundreds of miles of twisties here.

If the only corners I had were onramps. I'd probably care about peak hp. But, with the twisties here, I put it in third and use the tq. I'm good from about 15mph to about 80 mph in third gear. And it pulls from all rpm.

YMMV but, I got a brand new motorcycle for 2/3 the cost of a litre bike. And all I lost was the ability to hit 186mph.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #22
tlstreak
As Seen On TV

Moto: 01 929

There were a couple selling points on the old Buells I liked alot. Easy maint. No valve checks. Belt driven, so no more cleaning and tighten a chain. I love twins far more than an I4. Every Buell ive been on was a all day comfortable riding posture. Decent street suspension, and capable brakes. Wasnt the biggest fan of the perimeter brake rotor. They have factory upgrades that made sense for the bike. One day ill probably own one. I have my lil 929 street fighter project now and its been fun so far.

I happen to think they might have went away from what really made sense with the bikes on the newest version. Back to valve adjustments and trying to compete in a market their not ready for. Kinda like BMW and Moto Guzzi they build bikes designed for a purpose, stick with what works first.

Last edited by tlstreak; 02-24-2009 at 08:10 AM..
tlstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #23
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlstreak View Post
I dont down buells, I hate the new bike, and would take the 9 or 12 over it looks and ride wise for me.
I would too...and did. I LOVE the engine in this bike. Like you said...super easy...very little maintenence...endless torque and an unbeatable sound.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #24
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

So, now it's down 20hp on an i4 litre. Keep in mind.. If I wanted an I4 litre. That's exactly what I would have bought. Not to mention it makes more tq off idle than the i4s do up until 11-12k rpm.

I'll point it out again, Buell makes street bikes that are race capable. In the hands of the right rider, it will more than keep up on the track. In the hands of a novice rider, it'll keep up easily on the street until you get to the highway. I don't ride much highway, we have hundreds and hundreds of miles of twisties here.

If the only corners I had were onramps. I'd probably care about peak hp. But, with the twisties here, I put it in third and use the tq. I'm good from about 15mph to about 80 mph in third gear. And it pulls from all rpm.

YMMV but, I got a brand new motorcycle for 2/3 the cost of a litre bike. And all I lost was the ability to hit 186mph.
have you ridden a modern liter bike? I had ridden a ZX11D1 for years, hell of a lot of low end power comes on like a big block (pick your favorite manufacturer), I now own an 06 ZX10R it will do 100MPH in first and I can also do corners in 3rd (hell and do about 120 if needed) there is plenty of power in third.

one question for ya, if a V twin will keep up with an I4, why do they need such a bigger motor at the race track?
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

i was talking about power changes in a single model with either the same or same type motor. you cant use that analogy with your above statement since you are using two different models and one of them aircooled.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
one question for ya, if a V twin will keep up with an I4, why do they need such a bigger motor at the race track?
It's easier to make a 1L I4 spin faster than a 1L V2 does, that allows the heads to make more HP. Just like a 1L 6 will make more hp than a I4. Twins do tend to make more torque, and being narrow keeps a lot of reciprocating mass in the middle of the bike, opposed to I4's that have spinning mass way out the sides of the bike.

Oh, BTW Rotax stays in business because they also makes aircraft engines.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

damn now i have to compare old cb1000 numbers to cbx numbers to validate the above statement.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
damn now i have to compare old cb1000 numbers to cbx numbers to validate the above statement.
Better yet, you could build them all in an engine simulator and see that they make the same hp/torque curve relationship we see between 600/1000 I4's and 1000 twins. And then toss in a 6 just because you can....

There's a 900 and 750 of the same head design as the cbx, But I'm not sure if there's a 1000.....
Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Apples and Oranges love...

I like how you guys forgot completely that Harley purchased Cagiva and then announced major US plant layoffs in Milwaukee.

Or how Cagiva is in no way prepared or able to produce bikes in volume for import at a profitable margin regardless of ownership

Oh, and I like GSXRs and Buells...Aprilias not so much...I feel they are overrated.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #30
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Oh, and I like GSXRs and Buells...Aprilias not so much...I feel they are overrated.
It's a little low on power compared to newer bikes, But it still has plenty to have fun on the street. It's also the only stock streetbike I've seen with a picture of the rider dragging his elbow on a flat surface.