Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

PPS... IMHO there is NO SHAME in crashing....only in not learning from it, or blaming the rest of the world.............

Rubber side down, please.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Thanks OTB, those are some words of wisdom.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

It's a little insane, but crashing is the biggest adrenaline rush you'll ever have a motorcycle. I know my first Turn 1 get-off at JGP was pretty benign, busted a footpeg and rearset bracket, that's it, but it was about a 115mph lowside. I didn't exactly enjoy it, but there was definitely a rush from pushing right to the edge, sometimes you stretch the envelope, sometimes you don't.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a little insane, but crashing is the biggest adrenaline rush you'll ever have a motorcycle. I know my first Turn 1 get-off at JGP was pretty benign, busted a footpeg and rearset bracket, that's it, but it was about a 115mph lowside. I didn't exactly enjoy it, but there was definitely a rush from pushing right to the edge, sometimes you stretch the envelope, sometimes you don't.
I'm with ya on this. I could honestly careless about wrecking... Other than fucking up the bike... Its why if I do end up loving the track ill spring for a track only one...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

I was actually thinking of posting something about getting comfortable in the corners again after a crash.

I have crashed/totaled 3 bikes. the first two I walked away from and didn't have any problems getting back on and riding like it never happened. like you after the first crash I got a bigger bike, the second one I rebuilt it then got a quicker/faster bike. the third one I got the same bike different color.

I do not remember the last crash and about 1/4 mile before the crash site. I was talking to the guy I was riding with (when he finally came back for me) before I remember talking with him.

my ankles are messed up from the crash, I have bone floating around in one ankle and the other is stiff.

I know I had slowed down prior to the crash because I had bobbled a couple corners that I shouldn't have and wouldn't have on my old bike. this was a new bike (3 days old)and a new to me road (another reason I had slowed down).

I got back on a bike a week later (I was working in a dealership as a Tech/setup so had to). I used wheelchair/crutches for weeks, found out that I couldn't shift a sportbike for several weeks.

I go out for rides now and get that oh shit feeling on just about every corner. the new bike says I have about 20K on it now and still love to ride, just can't do the type of riding I like now because I can't figure out how to get past that feeling.

I don't go out on the streets and treat them like a racetrack but some spirited riding a little over the speed limit is fun.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

stickied

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
stickied
Uhh.. the grammatically correct term is.... stuck.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Outstanding!!

Perhaps some track time or a one on one course session with someone could help ya out Zed!

I know when I went down at the track, I was back out on the street as soon as I fixed the bike, but the first time I went back to the track I panicked and almost refused to get out there. As soon as I got my feet out on the track however and did a few laps, I was good as new again. Maybe Im just too dumb to worry about it...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a little insane, but crashing is the biggest adrenaline rush you'll ever have a motorcycle.
Meh, not for me. If I can plot my trajectory, and know I'm not gonna hit anything, then it's just really tedium as I try not to sit on one spot for too long, as I'm sliding (when it gets too hot, move around a little).

My heart never races until after. I'm pretty graceful under pressure.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
My heart never races until after. I'm pretty graceful under pressure.
I would hope so, cause you ain't graceful any other time.