Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Northeast Riders

Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I wouldn't aim for NYFD. I'd want to be in the outer suburbs (less chance of getting shot at).
Um...no. Getting shot at has never been an issue with the NYC FF's I know. Sounds like you are hearing stories from people who haven't lived here but have lots of "opinions".

Out by me, its mostly volunteer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I know the negativity of NY. It's why leaving Georgia isn't my favorite idea. I'm just trying to get somewhat of an idea of what it would be like there.
Negativity?
What makes you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #22
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Both boros have their ghettos but also have some very wealthy ares. You would be lucky finding a brownstone in park slope for under a million.

Tom

Even crown heights which in the early 90s was one of the worst areas in the city with riots and gang battles, has been on an upward move for the past decade, still not a top notch neigborhood, but definately upper middle class.

As far as being a firefighter, good luck. in NJ if you wanna be a FF then you need to spend a few year as a volunteer firefighter first, get all your NJ state certs before they will even look at you, unless you want to work in newark or jersey city which are fairly bad areas.

I can't speak with certainty about the process on LI, but I'm pretty sure its close to NYC, from the time you sign up for the test, until you get hired can be a few years. A friend of mine just recieved word that he passed the Jan 07 suffolk county test and will be going to school next summer. I am sure taht nassau county will be similar
Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Both boros have their ghettos but also have some very wealthy ares. You would be lucky finding a brownstone in park slope for under a million.

Tom
But they still have a lot of "ghetto" areas, which is all I was trying to say. Everyone who lives on Long Island isn't some fat cat in the Hamptons.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
But they still have a lot of "ghetto" areas, which is all I was trying to say. Everyone who lives on Long Island isn't some fat cat in the Hamptons.
NYC has 8.3 million people within 400 square miles.
Long Island has 2.9 Million people on 1,401 square miles.

While a city like LA can have miles upon miles of shitsville.
An NYC "ghetto" could be a couple of blocks...surrounded by areas most couldn't afford to live in.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

As far as affordability goes in NYC, you can get a 2 bedroom for about $1200 in a decent area in Queens are Brooklyn. I personally prefer queens since I grew up there...Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens are the only places in Queens were I would live, but thats my personal choice. They are all close to mass transit and have good shopping. Established neighborhoods so they are not up and coming like Astoria or Williamburg which is the new "it" place to be. It will take about 1 hr to commute down to the financial district though. Another thing to keep in mind is that with rentals in NYC there usually are broker fees. My apartment in Forest Hills- the upfront deposits where, 1st and last months rent, and month and a half broker fee (negotiable).

These apartments don't have anywhere for you to park your stuff and they are getting increasingly difficult with pets though some do still accept them. How big are your dogs? You can find street parking though but it will be tough to park a truck since its parallel parking on the street. There are also alternate side parking regulations for street cleaning. Parking your bike on the street is also a bad idea since it will most likely get stolen. You might want to look into parking your stuff in a garage but that will cost a few hundred dollars a month.

Honestly having guns isn't a must like a lot of places outside of the city. People break in when you aren't home, not when you are there and they will scope out your schedule first before they attempt. And unless you are being a jackass no one will go and mess with you (which is a moot point anyway since you won't be able to carry)

Parking and animals may be different in LI or CT (but i have no insight on that) but I am just speaking for Queens and BK. You won't be able to afford to live in anywhere decent in Manhattan on $46k, and be able to park your truck with bike and all. Take home on $45k is about $2400 a month. My brother is paying $2200 a month for a one bedroom in midtown.

If you plan on taking EMT classes John Jay has a course. Its in the 50's and 10th ave. (around there anyway)

Actually Inwood in the Northern most tip of Manhattan may be running about the same rent. But you would still have to get some kind of secure parking in a garage a few blocks away. The men are a bit creepy there though which may bother your GF when she is walking alone (as it did me) when they leer, catcall, follow and try to grab her to talk to her.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Well, Queens and Brooklyn are on the Island as well, and a lot of that is ghetto.
Not so much anymore. The ghetto is being pushed out. And there are a lot of nice places in BK and Queens. Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica Estates, Columbia Heights has some beautiful real estates well in the millions.

Heck even Harlem is being gentrified now with million dollar brownstones!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
As far as affordability goes in NYC, you can get a 2 bedroom for about $1200 in a decent area in Queens are Brooklyn. I personally prefer queens since I grew up there...Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens are the only places in Queens were I would live, but thats my personal choice. They are all close to mass transit and have good shopping. Established neighborhoods so they are not up and coming like Astoria or Williamburg which is the new "it" place to be. It will take about 1 hr to commute down to the financial district though. Another thing to keep in mind is that with rentals in NYC there usually are broker fees. My apartment in Forest Hills- the upfront deposits where, 1st and last months rent, and month and a half broker fee (negotiable).

These apartments don't have anywhere for you to park your stuff and they are getting increasingly difficult with pets though some do still accept them. How big are your dogs? You can find street parking though but it will be tough to park a truck since its parallel parking on the street. There are also alternate side parking regulations for street cleaning. Parking your bike on the street is also a bad idea since it will most likely get stolen. You might want to look into parking your stuff in a garage but that will cost a few hundred dollars a month.

Honestly having guns isn't a must like a lot of places outside of the city. People break in when you aren't home, not when you are there and they will scope out your schedule first before they attempt. And unless you are being a jackass no one will go and mess with you (which is a moot point anyway since you won't be able to carry)

Parking and animals may be different in LI or CT (but i have no insight on that) but I am just speaking for Queens and BK. You won't be able to afford to live in anywhere decent in Manhattan on $46k, and be able to park your truck with bike and all. Take home on $45k is about $2400 a month. My brother is paying $2200 a month for a one bedroom in midtown.

If you plan on taking EMT classes John Jay has a course. Its in the 50's and 10th ave. (around there anyway)

Actually Inwood in the Northern most tip of Manhattan may be running about the same rent. But you would still have to get some kind of secure parking in a garage a few blocks away. The men are a bit creepy there though which may bother your GF when she is walking alone (as it did me) when they leer, catcall, follow and try to grab her to talk to her.
My sister is paying about 1800 a month for a great studio by world trade. Doorman and everything.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #28
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Not so much anymore. The ghetto is being pushed out. And there are a lot of nice places in BK and Queens. Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica Estates, Columbia Heights has some beautiful real estates well in the millions.

Heck even Harlem is being gentrified now with million dollar brownstones!
I think outta towners automatically get nervous when they see a neighborhood with blacks and puerto ricans roaming around.

Automatically think its a ghetto.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #29
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
My sister is paying about 1800 a month for a great studio by world trade. Doorman and everything.
I know my brothers place is really nice too, but I haven't been there, it in WW plaza I think. But man, I just can't afford to live in NY anymore!

In Forest Hills, I was paying 1100 for a one bedroom with ample street parking and it was really nice too. But now I am paying $750 for my larger 1 bedroom with an attached garage and its brand new, load of amenities. Granted its Vegas vs NY, so its apples and oranges...but I do miss NYC! I just don't know if I want to live there again...

Hey why is it we never hung out before?? I think you are the only goon in NY that I haven't met on the forum.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #30
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I know my brothers place is really nice too, but I haven't been there, it in WW plaza I think. But man, I just can't afford to live in NY anymore!

In Forest Hills, I was paying 1100 for a one bedroom with ample street parking and it was really nice too. But now I am paying $750 for my larger 1 bedroom with an attached garage and its brand new, load of amenities. Granted its Vegas vs NY, so its apples and oranges...but I do miss NYC! I just don't know if I want to live there again...

Hey why is it we never hung out before?? I think you are the only goon in NY that I haven't met on the forum.

hes antisocial

you missed a funnight at croxleys too sat night. jimmy, donna, ray and levi all came out.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote