Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Mounting a top case for my KLR, cheap

I'm looking at mounting a top case for my KLR pretty soon. I bought a seahorse case (almost like pelicans only cheap), and I'm looking at my options to mount it without having to spend an arm and a leg for a mounting plate.

So what I'm looking at now is a home depot special. I have a few designs that I'm considering, but I do have some oddly specific requirements. And here is the real kicker. I want to add in 2 12v outlets, one outside the box so I can plug in my just ordered Sena SMH10, and one on the inside, possibly with a switch on each one on the outside of the box to turn each one on or off. The switch is just an idea. But with the fact that I want the box removable I need to be able to plug it in to the bike. I already have 90% of the wiring for electrics already installed, just need to run wires from the fuse box to the tail. I think I would use some type of compact marine plug or the same type of fitting that my trickle charger works on.

Here are the designs I'm looking to copy

Option 1

Option 2

Right now I'm leaning toward option 2, its less bulky, and leaves more open space, and a flat area on the rack when the box is off. Anyone have thoughts or ideas, or better ways to mount a case? I'm really open for almost anything, as long as it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I just need to buy some latches, but its all mounted and ready to go otherwise. The hinges give me access to the stock toolbox, plus fairly easy removal of the actual box. The footmans loops are pop riveted to the box, and I used a massive amount of silicon sealant to make sure that it stays waterproof.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Clean work!
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote