Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Central Riders

Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Winter Riding in Colorado

Yeah, the mountains got four feet of snow, but we had severe Chinook winds (snow-eater) that melted every bit of the snow we received in Denver. I've ridden every day this week with temps in the 50's. Tomorrow should be near 60. I decided to ride Lookout Mountain today. The lower part was dry with no sand. I was only going to ride half way up because the upper part is shaded by Evergreens, but went all the way to the Nature Center on a dry, ice-free road.

With the bitter cold we had in most of December, I had almost forgotten how to lean off the bike. With my Hippo Hands, I rode very comfortably with my summer gloves. After the first couple curves, I got right into the groove. The good thing is: They say whatever you are doing on New Year's Day, you will do the rest of the year. So I should be doing a lot of riding.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
sfarson
On a Ride

Moto: Two Wheels

Indeed, a nice holiday week of riding. Even at high altitude Park County have ridden 300+ miles this week.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

It was good weather while it lasted. Today's supposed to be the last nice day for a while.

When I was bicycling home from my gym this morning, I saw a fancy motorcycle up a block I don't usually take. It was a small Aprilia. "250?" I asked, seeing the single front disc. "Good eye" he said, "but it's a 125." I looked it over and said "you don't see many new two-strokes. I'd love to hear it." He started it up and reved it. It still ring-dinged, but at a faster tempo than I remember. He said he got the bike for his wife. Haha.

The swing arm looked like it came from a liter bike. "It's a pure race bike" he said, "I had to put on the turn signals, etc." "Well, at least you were able to get it licensed" I said while looking at his current plates. "Oh, I took those tags off my Harley" he said, "I'm hoping to get it licensed as a dual-sport."

I told him I was riding up Lookout Mountain later, and he said I may see him up there. Both him and his friend also had Ducatis. I didn't see them on Lookout, but they only live three blocks from my house. Maybe I'll have some new riding partners and TWFixers.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
t-homo
WSB Champion

Badass man. A good local friend of mine had an RS125 for a few months that was imported in pieces from Belguim. Traded is 01 TLR for it and cash. He has had an RS50 for a year or so now that his wife rides sometime. He's planning on getting another 125 for his 13 year old son to start doing track days on next summer.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Warm spell since Friday. Been in the 50's and 60's. Today and tomorrow near 70. Rode every day except Monday. Today I rode with my friend Dean, and his Gixxer 1K, up Lookout Mountain. I was in the lead going up and he led going down. I much prefer being in the lead going up.

When I'm second, the road looks clear, but I see his rear tire throwing up gravel on the bends, and then I get nervous. And I stay passive in a tire track instead of actively attacking the curves.

Well, as attacking as I can be on a thirty-year-old bike. Actually it's great fun. I keep the old GS between 5 and 6K. The torque peak must be very near there, because it accelerates pretty quickly between corners. We're going again tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Chinook winds... been a long time since I've hear about them... Grow'n up in Oregon they a common theme in our weather forcasts
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote