Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #121
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
i went up and down thru some twisties over here, took it easy cuz i didnt have the roads memorized, but i noticed on the tighter right hand turns, i tend to lean the bike more, and my body way less...

all the left handers i have my left buttcheek off the seat, arms loose(mostly, still workin on it), helmet in line with the mirror. feels right, comfy. when i go right i seem to push the bike down with my arms and get off the seat less, and the mirror would be way to the right of the helmet. feels weird, but not sure how to correct it. when i force myself to do it the way i think it should be done, it feels even more awkward. just a practice thing, or maybe im just not a ambi-turner? i cant go right lol

im gonna be goin every week, and eventually get some footage so i/u rider types can critique. just tryin to be smooth and correct, fuck going fast, for now atleast
supposed to be a normal thing, typically i'll notice a very slight (1mm) preference for my right side on my back tire. dunno if its me or simply the road construction around this place.

def interesting reading, between you guys and mr code im def getting better at hustling the blade through corners. just getting hard finding decent ones lol

oh, ive got a question: given the same corner and the same lean angle a 180 is gonna have less strip than a 190 right? or am i offbase here?
TWF Post whore #6

Last edited by Dave; 09-03-2008 at 11:43 PM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #122
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
i went up and down thru some twisties over here, took it easy cuz i didnt have the roads memorized, but i noticed on the tighter right hand turns, i tend to lean the bike more, and my body way less...

all the left handers i have my left buttcheek off the seat, arms loose(mostly, still workin on it), helmet in line with the mirror. feels right, comfy. when i go right i seem to push the bike down with my arms and get off the seat less, and the mirror would be way to the right of the helmet. feels weird, but not sure how to correct it. when i force myself to do it the way i think it should be done, it feels even more awkward. just a practice thing, or maybe im just not a ambi-turner? i cant go right lol

im gonna be goin every week, and eventually get some footage so i/u rider types can critique. just tryin to be smooth and correct, fuck going fast, for now atleast
It's all about practice, man. My rights were pretty rusty compared to my lefts. I still don't feel as confident when compared to my lefts, but it's only very, very slightly less confident. Track riding relly helped me out to adjust and get to a good comfort zone, because it's all about feeling comfortable out there. Following the basics, but still comfortable.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #123
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
It's all about practice, man. My rights were pretty rusty compared to my lefts. I still don't feel as confident when compared to my lefts, but it's only very, very slightly less confident. Track riding relly helped me out to adjust and get to a good comfort zone, because it's all about feeling comfortable out there. Following the basics, but still comfortable.
left seems so easy, and right i gotta like force it. i dont run wide or nothing, but it feels awkward- i think ill go thru em everyday on the way home from work, its close by and ill get the roads down. its not that long of a road, maybe 10mins, but its left right left right left sweeper right left right etc, all uphill, then same thing back down. all 2nd gear, winds out second in the two sweepers
Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #124
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'm the exact opposite. I am more confident on rights. However, going to the track really helped with lefts.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #125
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
...def interesting reading, between you guys and mr code im def getting better at hustling the blade through corners. just getting hard finding decent ones lol

oh, ive got a question: given the same corner and the same lean angle a 180 is gonna have less strip than a 190 right? or am i offbase here?
Plenty of decent corners out here. Plus, they are always throwing gravel down in the corners to make it interesting.

The 180 should have less strip. My CBR has a 170 and there is no strip. The wider the tire, the less curve in the tire's cross-section. My GS1000 has a 130, and it has a nice strip. To get no strip on the 130, the bike would almost have to be horizontal in the corners.

But the more you lean off the bike, the more vertical the bike, and the more strip you will have. Chicken strips are so last year.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #126
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

I am more comfortable in lefts because NHMS is mostly lefts, and two of the major rights have huge pavement transitions/cracks.

The new NJ place is mostly rights so I should be able to even out both my skill and my tire wear (get my money out of those bitches! )

edit: Also, in general, on the street lefts are higher speed and more sweeping because you drive on the right side of the road here. It is common for people to be more comfortable in lefts for that reason and also because they have less tendency to be blind corners.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #127
Rider
Moto GP Star

I must be more comfortable at left handers since my chicken strips are slightly bigger on that side meaning I hang off more that direction. Or it could just mean I take the turns faster going right.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #128
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I must be more comfortable at left handers since my chicken strips are slightly bigger on that side meaning I hang off more that direction. Or it could just mean I take the turns faster going right.
Yeah... until you get your body positioning consistent it's hard to read anything from your tires.

Pictures are what help the most usually. See if you can hit some twisties with a buddy and get some pics/film...? Or onboard camera preferably.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #129
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Yeah... until you get your body positioning consistent it's hard to read anything from your tires.

Pictures are what help the most usually. See if you can hit some twisties with a buddy and get some pics/film...? Or onboard camera preferably.
I might get an audiance in Indy.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #130
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Are you dragging knee yet?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote