Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i
Default So I've been riding for three weeks now

Things are going well. I am up to 343 miles ridden on the CBR. Daily riding has been pretty good, no major issues. Yesterday I rode 120 miles with my GF on the back to see my parents and learned new things about keeping her from sliding down onto me (I scooted back away from the tank) , keeping weight off of my wrist at the expense of my inner thighs holding most of my weight, and how to keep my fingers from going numb.

I did almost lay the bike down in the parking garage, I was in 2nd and thought I was in first. Stalled the bike going slow and leaned to the left. I caught the bike before it touched down and had my gf hold the bike while I ran around to lift it up. That's probably my biggest struggle, knowing which gear I am in at all times, I wish my bike had a gear indicator, can i install one?

I got 39 mpg mostly hwy yesterday.

Thoughts, comments, and tips are welcome.
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Number one tip?

Relax! You seem to be, from what I read, intimidated by riding.

Let yourself become one with the bike before you start worrying about every detail of riding.

I'm not saying don't be alert, just relax...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Number one tip?

Relax! You seem to be, from what I read, intimidated by riding.

Let yourself become one with the bike before you start worrying about every detail of riding.

I'm not saying don't be alert, just relax...
What's there to be intimidated by, riding is easy. How does relax give me any more information how better posture to keep weight off of my wrist?
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
What's there to be intimidated by, riding is easy. How does relax give me any more information how better posture to keep weight off of my wrist?
if you are constantly worried about what gear you are in, then you are not relaxed. People have been riding bikes for over 100 years without gear indicators.
It will all come with seat time, that is the only thing that will help you out. Just be careful that you don't get too confident too quickly.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

My wife has been riding for a little over 2 years and her only mishap so far was in the driveway at low speed while turning. She knew what gear she was in but when she hit the front brake while turning the bike stopped but started down real quick. Live and learn.

My garage is down my steep driveway and around back so you have to turn to make it into the garage...she's mastered it now.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I don't want to come in here with any nazi-police type of attitude because I truly think "to each his/her own" but I would hold off on carrying passengers until you have had more seat time. Just my 2 cents... Not meant to ruffle any feathers, but I would not want you having to live through knowing that someone you cared for died or was seriously injured perhaps due to your own inexperience.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
I don't want to come in here with any nazi-police type of attitude because I truly think "to each his/her own" but I would hold off on carrying passengers until you have had more seat time. Just my 2 cents... Not meant to ruffle any feathers, but I would not want you having to live through knowing that someone you cared for died or was seriously injured perhaps due to your own inexperience.
Good post and I agree 100 % BUT I figured it would fall on deaf ears so I didn't post it.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

^ plus 1 to no passangers.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Tached is dead on. Become confident and solid in basic riding skills and reactions before risking someone else's life (IMO). Personally, I dont ever carry 2 up, I dont care if I take myself out, but I wont be responsible for someone else.

To answer your wrist question, whenever you find yourself putting pressure on your wrists, consciously tighen your abs and use your back muscles to take all pressure off your wrists. Your hands should lightly rest on the grips. Its all a matter of practice. The more you remind yourself to take the weight off the wrists, the faster you'll be doing it without even thinking about it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
I did almost lay the bike down in the parking garage, I was in 2nd and thought I was in first. Stalled the bike going slow and leaned to the left. I caught the bike before it touched down and had my gf hold the bike while I ran around to lift it up.
I just find it hard to believe if you had been "relaxed" it would have taken two people to figure out that situation.

I'm not picking on you here. You asked for advice.

I was just saying, once the controls and inputs become second nature is when you should start really focusing on everything else.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote