Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I don't ride regularly with a group... but when I do it depends on what we're doing. at the rally if we were just going from point a-b I liked being in the back... enjoying the scenery... if it was point a-b by way of good roads... I like to be towards the front. not leading, as I'm not fast, and hate holding people up... but not at the rear as I don't want to be held up either.

I like to watch others lines, as I'm still slow.

if it's super slab... doesn't matter... I prefer to ride behind as I like to let them set the pace as I know I can ride all day... and I can help make sure the groups together...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermey View Post
It depends on what group I'm riding with. Most times I end up leading the ride, unless it's one that I didn't organize. The other times I'll either stay close to the front 2 or 3, or I'll ride last and be the sweeper.
Can I say again how I much I enjoy being the caboose?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

back back and back
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

99.9% the lead bike, we ride a pretty quick pace, one of my buddies is always right on me though, looking to make a pass, couple of the other quick guys said they like to try to follow my lines, if we're just putting around, i like to ride in the back, but even then, i cant hardly even wave anybody around me, just kinda always been the "leader" of our little group so i guess they think that if im doing 25mph,then they should to

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Back when I had a usual riding group I always liked to be second. I'm always faster if I have a rider in front of me to follow. I watch his body language and where he's looking and it's like I can see around the mountain and know when a corner is coming up. And it gives me reassurance that there's nothing major in the road in front of me. Of course when I'm riding with a group of racers I can't always keep up that pace...
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i usually ride with older/slower/or new riders so I almost always take the back. I have a tendency to ride away otherwise. Not that I'm incredibly fast I just tend to be faster then those I ride with.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

To me, a group is two riders. Any more than that is hard to stay together when passing cars. And my riding partner is a Total Control instructor, so if I ride ahead of him I feel like I'm being critiqued.

I'll ride second going uphill as I like being behind his much-faster bike. Plus, it drives him nuts when he sees me in his mirrors. But I prefer riding lead going downhill. I brake early and often, and trail-brake through the curves. Seeing my brake light flash like a strobe light prevents him from seeing my crummy form.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Scot
Kneedragger

Moto: varies

usually lead bike. I usually pick the route. last weekend I was 3rd in a group of 5. I might ride that spot more often. I was way less stressed with making sure everyone is having a good time. Though we went an old route we've ridden several times before, I actually enjoyed it more. I think I worry about everyone having fun when in fact, they are enjoying not being lead bike haha.
Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

I like the be in the back if it is more than just my husband and I. I like that they can all ride ahead and I can be sort of alone to go at my own speed. When there is someone right in front or right behind me I feel like I spend too much energy worrying about them. When I am in the back everyone waits for me periodically so I have that comfort of not feeling completely alone.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

When I ride with my fellow bueller, I lead.

When I ride with a few of my fast buddies, I play "wait for me at the turn".

When I ride with the fast guys, I have no desire to keep up. They're balling up their tires on the street.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote