Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #261
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Turbo Ghost- my endurance sucks ass. I like to run though and I can am pretty quick if I go balls out for a sprint, but for any type of mileage its really hard for me. I get winded really quickly. What has helped me is just breathing in and out of my nose to set the pace. If I can't breathe comfortably then I slow down.
My nose stays slightly closed all the time so, for anything that ups my respiritory rate, I have to breathe through my mouth. I run until I can't and then I walk until I recover enough to begin running again and repeat.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #262
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Turbo Ghost- my endurance sucks ass. I like to run though and I can am pretty quick if I go balls out for a sprint, but for any type of mileage its really hard for me. I get winded really quickly. What has helped me is just breathing in and out of my nose to set the pace. If I can't breathe comfortably then I slow down.
I think thats fairly common for those just starting out.

I found that finding a good breathing pattern and sticking to it throughout the run to be a huge help. Same pattern from the very start to portions of a run that require a lot of sucking wind. Personally I like 2 quick inhales and one big exhale in time with landing on a right or left foot.
Then it was figuring out that initial pacing can make or break a run.
When in doubt...slow in, fast out. Take it easy for the first mile and each additional mile will end up easier and faster.

That and a running partner rocks. If I run by myself, 20 minutes is about when I get the itch to go home and 60 minutes is about the point where the list of excuses to stop running grows long enough to just call it a day.
If I'm running with someone else...the desire to NOT be the one to call it quits trumps all exhaustion...cramps...urge to poo..
I want to be the one who calls the other person a wuss.

Thats probably why no one wants to run with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote