Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i
Default 5 Interesting Facts from Harley-Davidson’s Annual Report

Posted Friday, February 25th, 2011 @ 5:19 pm, by Jensen Beeler
Home » Banter » 5 Interesting Facts from Harley-Davidson’s Annual Report

5 Interesting Facts from Harley Davidsons Annual Report Harley Davidson Marissa Miller American Bombshell 635x508

While we’re still poring over Harley-Davidson‘s annual report, making Excel spreadsheets, and winning at bullshit bingo, a couple interesting facts have struck us about the company and some of the trends it is experiencing. While it’s been mostly doom and gloom around Harley-Davidson in 2010, the Milwaukee-based company does appear to be solely in business because of the strong cost-cutting CEO Keith Wandell has been able to achieve during his tenure. Despite the moaning and groaning from the Bar & Shield loyal about Wandell’s non-motorcycle riding lifestyle, the CEO knows how to trim the fat, which is exactly what this HOG needed. Find five interesting facts for you to mull over this weekend after the jump.

* Over a third (37.4%) of all new Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold, were sold outside of the United States.
* If trends continue, Harley-Davidson could be selling more motorcycles abroad than domestically within two years. This is not because international sales are booming (international sales were only up 3% in 2010 compared to sales in 2006), but instead because domestic sales are crashing (sales in the United States were down 52% over the same time period).
* Harley-Davidson sold 49% fewer motorcycles in 2010 than it did in 2006. By model family those sales decreases are as follows: 36% (Sportster), 46% (Custom), & 34%.
* 2010 is the first year since 2006 that Harley-Davidson’s sales figures dropped by a single digit factor (8.9%). Sales have decreased by 11.6% (2007), 14.6% (2008), 30% (2009) over the past four years.
* 66% of Harley-Davidson purchasers in 2010 did not have a college degree
* Harley-Davidson Financial Services financed 47.9% of all new Harley-Davidson purchases in the United States for 2010.

Source: Harley-Davidson & Google Finance

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bant...rt/#more-19189
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Sounds like their business model based around a single 'type' of biker might not have been the greatest business model choice. I don't see them going out of business anytime soon, but the bad years they had where quality went to shit seems like it has a good chance of surfacing again (based on cost cutting).

Yeh it also seems like they might have started to depend a little too much on financing expensive bikes to dirt bag white trash trailer park folk instead of maintaining a long term sustainable plan.They sold the image to everyone under the son, including folks that couldnt afford the image. And the tshirts and bandanas that cost way too much, they are just too expensive when nobody has money
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

They also jumped on the bad financing band wagon like every company did in the last 5 years. They lost their asses on bad loans. Further, we all know luxuries like bikes are painfully the first to go when times are tuff. Let alone new bikes.

Further they mistakingly so, stuck to their middle aged white biker. More recently they have aimed their advertising dollars at the younger generations, especially with new sportsters that are cheaper than even many sportbikes (sub $7k). Knowing its a foot step in.

I don't believe their quality will suffer anytime soon. I have seen a huge step forward on many of their bikes, parts, and aftermarket in the last few years. Hell even advanced technologies like led lighting, and led head/fog lights.

But in order for them to stay competitive they have to succeed abroad. And in the last year they have taken steps with that in india and brazil.

However, they have also made poor decisions as well. This year they made a big to do about the release of a new entry level bike. Did they make a completely new cool bike design? No. Did they make a touring bike off the vrod platform (done very well via non-hd aftermarket)? Nope! Instead a (while very nice) stripped down softail. Mega fail in many eyes.

They are the american cult bike and I don't think they'll ever go out of biz. They just need to keep adjusting and get in the front of technology.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I think thye got all they could out of the baby boomers/mid life crisis type of people. At the factory tour they were saying how they were gearing more towards new to motorcycling people and the younger crowd, yet they were hyping their 25k dollar bikes more than anything else.

I guess so long as they can keep hawking 80 dollar t-shirst they will be ok.

Hd financing wont be making much off me anyway since I will have the loan for my buell paid off over 3 years early LOL
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Their business model (domestic) appears to be based more on brand loyalty than evolution. The thing is, while brand loyalty still exists to some extent, it isn't nearly the same as in years past. Hell, how many people just on this board have switched brands just because they found either a bike better suited to their needs or just a plain ol' better deal?

Riding these days is about more than just a logo and matching gear (and shirts, and pants, and underwear...etc). The message is still somewhat the same (do your own thing), it's just allowed to actually be unique to the individual.

In order to survive, HD has to evolve. True, motorcycles are really toys that are the first to go in a crunch, but they can also be a cheaper alternative to big elaborate vacations and such (snowmobile sales were up in this area in January for that reason). They need to break back into that space. They need to go back to selling (and focusing on) motorcycles, not a lifestyle; they need to stop living in the past.

Would anyone here buy an old CRT display just because it's a favorite brand name? I know I wouldn't. Why? Because there are better ones out there (and taking the parallel even further, at a cheaper or even MUCH cheaper price). The people buying TV's and stuff these days are the same ones buying motorcycles.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Their business model (domestic) appears to be based more on brand loyalty than evolution. The thing is, while brand loyalty still exists to some extent, it isn't nearly the same as in years past. Hell, how many people just on this board have switched brands just because they found either a bike better suited to their needs or just a plain ol' better deal?

Riding these days is about more than just a logo and matching gear (and shirts, and pants, and underwear...etc). The message is still somewhat the same (do your own thing), it's just allowed to actually be unique to the individual.

In order to survive, HD has to evolve. True, motorcycles are really toys that are the first to go in a crunch, but they can also be a cheaper alternative to big elaborate vacations and such (snowmobile sales were up in this area in January for that reason). They need to break back into that space. They need to go back to selling (and focusing on) motorcycles, not a lifestyle; they need to stop living in the past.

Would anyone here buy an old CRT display just because it's a favorite brand name? I know I wouldn't. Why? Because there are better ones out there (and taking the parallel even further, at a cheaper or even MUCH cheaper price). The people buying TV's and stuff these days are the same ones buying motorcycles.
i think the metric cruisers forced harley to step it up some, they def lost some sales to the jappanese on that, but it seems theyre still catering to their old market. They say they want to start attracting new customers but I just dont seem to see them doing that and still pushing the uber expensive bikes and all the accessories you need for them
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

However, they have also made poor decisions as well. This year they made a big to do about the release of a new entry level bike. Did they make a completely new cool bike design? No. Did they make a touring bike off the vrod platform (done very well via non-hd aftermarket)? Nope! Instead a (while very nice) stripped down softail. Mega fail in many eyes.
I'm still waiting for them to start shifting production towards the VROD engines and ditching their traditional Vtwin. Its something they will have to do eventually (maybe a long time from now), and the platform is a good platform with more potential than they give it credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

They are the american cult bike and I don't think they'll ever go out of biz. They just need to keep adjusting and get in the front of technology.
I agree, but I do see them making bad design choices and loosing much more of the market than they need to, especially to the japanese cruisers who are managing to sell the same style and lifestyle ideas while doing it at 1/2 the price (see honda fury). Also if they loose too much money and need to cut too much costs, eventually it will effect their quality, and we will see a re-do of the AMF years
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Many of the things above are stated and from me being a HD insider (one who owns), is still off base and obviously stated from somebody that doesn't own one. I don't mean that as an insult.

As far as the jap cruisers... I tell ya, even when compared to a Victory. They all come up short on many things. Honestly. Overall quality feel, cheaper componants, lack of factory aftermarket support, lack of options, less than great paint (I honestly don't know any MC company that does better paint than HD, hell not even cars), lack of dealership support/network... and I can list exact examples if needed. Remember I work on all of them, and have rode most. The overall feel isn't there on many other brands. You can honestly tell that my HD was designed/built by people who ride. I'm just saying there is more to it than just the sticker price.

Per Willie G, the head designer and family of HD. There will be nothing done with the vrod platform other than how it stands now. No touring, no crossing the motor over to other frames, nothing. I read that somewhere... don't remember where.

And honestly, Tommy, they haven't been pushing the 25k bikes. They been pushing sportsters and softtails... $7k-$17k.

You will never see HD stray far from it's current setup. They don't have to. Many, myself included, like the constant, the stability, and the heritage of it's designs.

Further, I honestly think that HD is similar to BMW in many ways. Trip and I discussed this before. Their markets are obviously different, but their price points are similar as well as their brand loyality. They both have a great factory aftermarket, and when you purchase one of their aftermarket pieces you know you bought quality. Both have a solid feel of quality and re-assurance that the bike was designed well. But both are priced slightly higher than their competition, and for good reason IMO.

Really, what point did the article make? Sales are down and keep on decreasing? Of course, the economy is as well. I bet HD downturn matches the economies downturn.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Brandon
1 up 5 down

Moto: 08 1098s

you'd look good on a Harley Geoff.

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Fuck Keith Wandell. I hope he dies in a fiery crash.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote