Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
HD will find itself in a different market in a few decades. Sorry GM, you live in a bubble. The rest of the country doesn't care about the "American" brand like you Michigan people do. That's ya'll shit. In Tennessee, we build VWs, Toyotas, and a lot of other "imports." These are more American to us than your Michigan built Fords, because they put food on our tables and our region benefits from them.

I doubt the cult will ever put HD in a spot where they have to close, but I see it shrinking as the boomers start dying off.
I don't live in a bubble. And I have said many times. Last time in thomo's want to buy a car thread. If you're in a state that has a honda plant or something. Then by all means buy a honda. It's what supports your community. You won't see me buying one but that's not what supports my economy and my family.

And I don't see HD shrinking in one bit. I see them growing even bigger as their global markets increase. Which they are doing HUGE in central & southern america and now india.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
That is also why you will continue to see HD doing things like building that factory in, if I'm remembering correctly, India. There is a lot of uncertainty about the American market while in places like India and China there seems to be more sustained interest in American nostalgia combined with a steadily increasing number of people over there who can afford it.

Oh yeah in india. They are assembling the bikes there to avoid the crazy taxes. They ship all the parts there and assemble the bike. The crazy part is... they actually want it to be american parts. Cause it's the "american cult" bike. And that is what they call it if you watch videos (news feeds and other) from those foreign countries. Like said... American nostalgia. Hell even in Japan... there is a huge HD following. Another forum just had a guy post pics of a big motorcycle show over in japan. I couldn't believe the number of HDs in it... and big time customized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As would any potential new american motorcycle company.
True... and for any auto companies. You have to be global so that the downturns of any one economy doesn't kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Foreign bikes aren't a consideration for me.
Good man!

Don't get it twisted. I like all kinds of bikes. My second favorite bike brand is probably BMW or maybe Vic. They would have to battle it out.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I don't live in a bubble. And I have said many times. Last time in thomo's want to buy a car thread. If you're in a state that has a honda plant or something. Then by all means buy a honda. It's what supports your community. You won't see me buying one but that's not what supports my economy and my family.

And I don't see HD shrinking in one bit. I see them growing even bigger as their global markets increase. Which they are doing HUGE in central & southern america and now india.
The way you were talking about how you get harassed driving import brands up there, that doesn't happen around here even though we have plants. People just don't plain care about what brand you drive. That's what I meant by a bubble. You got to admit you guys take it to another notch up there because of ya'll proximity to Detroit. It is a bubble of it's own.

In this country I see them shrinking unless they adjust with the trends. Especially if there isn't a big economic turn around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #23
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

OIC... if you say so

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
In this country I see them shrinking unless they adjust with the trends. Especially if there isn't a big economic turn around.
I dont see the turn around happening much if at all now with all this BS in libya. Gas is going through the roof, speculators are going nuts thinking the sky is falling and they think that the growth we were seeing will slow or even stop if things continue the way they are.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #25
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Imported from Detroit.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I dont see the turn around happening much if at all now with all this BS in libya. Gas is going through the roof, speculators are going nuts thinking the sky is falling and they think that the growth we were seeing will slow or even stop if things continue the way they are.
Yeah, what I think we could see a rise in is high gas efficient bike sales. Stuff that gets 50+mpg. Scooter sales shot through the roof last time.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

My shit gets 50+ mpg.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #28
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeah, what I think we could see a rise in is high gas efficient bike sales. Stuff that gets 50+mpg. Scooter sales shot through the roof last time.
Agreed, may be good since we will be looking to get a new suv or pickup in a few months.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #29
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
My shit gets 50+ mpg.
Your shit doesn't exist anymore cause of HD.
Quote:
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #30
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Your shit doesn't exist anymore cause of HD.
Hence my original post in this thread.