Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R
Default Smooth then fast

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so here goes.

I've never been a particularly amazing rider. I've worked hard at it and it hasn't come naturally. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad rider at all. I just know that I'm not.....something.

With each bike and year of riding I've improved. I'm not one of those people that was good just right off the bat.

I ride with a group of guys who spend most of their time at the track and a few even race. Learning from them hasn't always been easy for a few reasons.

This year after riding the Gap and the surrounding area, I noticed a significant increase in my riding ability. I'm smoother and way more confident than I ever was. Keep in mind I don't have a suit and usually ride in jeans.

So I'm working on the smooth then fast technique. What are your thoughts on getting faster?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

ride the gap 15-20 laps (lap = store - overlook - store without stopping) two or three times a week or go to the track often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I'm a huge fan of the track! you can learn a lot about riding out there and it's not ALL about racing and going fast. At the right track school you can learn a lot about body positioning, cornering, braking, etc. and everything translates onto the street. It's amazing what your bike is actually capable of and and once you see what it can do it gives you more confidence in your ability to handle it.

If a track day is not an option for you due to gear or cost I understand, it's not cheap. You can learn the same on the street with lots of practice and the right teacher. Maybe an advanced MSF course or find a good friend that can actually explain things to you and then follow you and give tips. Riding with groups is nice but many people that can ride cannot teach and vice-versa!
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I am not a fan of the advanced MSF course class if you want to ride faster. It's more geared to all bikes and safety than it is for learning to control a sportbike at considerable speed. Something more like a Parks Total Control course would be better for street learning to go fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
What are your thoughts on getting faster?
Besides where to practice (track etc.) you're on the right course... smooth IS fast! The smoother you get the faster you'll get. There are of course, a lot of techniques you can learn from an instructor at a track, but as you ride just try to be smooth for now

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Besides where to practice (track etc.) you're on the right course... smooth IS fast! The smoother you get the faster you'll get. There are of course, a lot of techniques you can learn from an instructor at a track, but as you ride just try to be smooth for now
Agreed 100%- see my sig.

I found that my riding skill increased considerably when I stopped focusing on being fast. When I forced myself to slow down and focused on just being as smooth as possible, I was able to focus more on the right technique. Before long, I was faster than I had ever been before, but with considerably less effort and less drama.

I'll go ahead and echo the track day statements as well. If you can manage it, there really is no substitute. I also highly recommend doing a Lee Parks or Keith Code school (again, if you can swing it).
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Agreed 100%- see my sig.

I found that my riding skill increased considerably when I stopped focusing on being fast. Especially as I've gotten older. When I forced myself to slow down and focused on just being as smooth as possible, I was able to focus more on the right technique. Before long, I was faster than I had ever been before, but with considerably less effort and less drama.
Same here with added text in bold

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

There is a track school around here but I haven't really considered it for this year. If I can save up the money I'm going to try and do it for the fall.

I did have the benefit of a couple of friends helping me out at the Gap. I asked a trusted friend to ride behind me and evaluate a few things over the course of the week.

Even though I don't enjoy right handers he said mine were WAY smoother than my left. By the end of the week he couldn't tell a difference between the two because my lefts had improved a lot. I'm leaning more than I was before, head positioning is good, but riding in jeans means I'll never feel comfortable to get off the bike a whole lot (even though he said that was good too).

I've also got a copy of Twist of the Wrist II but I've never read it. I'll probably start there and just keep at 'er.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Smooth is overrated. Do it Troy Bayliss style - just keep it pointed in the right direction and stay in the throttle!
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
Smooth is overrated. Do it Troy Bayliss style - just keep it pointed in the right direction and stay in the throttle!
I know that's a joke... but smoothness equals speed.

Ride with some of the older regulars from back when...

jeeps is told be as smooth as silk and therefor most can't keep up.

Super from WOS, is the smoothest guy I have ever saw. He's like water... and will pass you on his dead stock bike making it look like he's just out for a stroll. INSANE! I can provide video's of him chasing the "all throttle less smooth guys"

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote