Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt
Default dave's sport tourer musing thread

so since ive been riding the cm much more its becoming increasingly apparent that its rather unsuited for long range cruising which was one of the many roles i had originally hoped it could assume. with that in mind im kinda compiling a list of bikes for myself that ought to fill my needs. this is really more for me than you guys but hell if you have suggestions im open to em.

yzf1000
rf 900
zx11D
zx9
cbr1100
umm
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I will say the ZX9 would be awesome... I thought my 6 was fine for my trip... I was geared down so it didn't get the greatest gas milage... but it wasn't bad.... 150-170 per tank (37-42mpg)

and the headlights are FUCKING AWESOME... especially if you go with a dual hi/lo HID kit... as anyone who rode infront of me to indy
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

The yzf1000 would be sweet for that. Its set up a lot like my yzf600 which is really comfortable but has a lot more power to it.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
t-homo
WSB Champion

My 2000 R1 got 50mpg on most of my fill ups on the way to indy. I think its running a little rich even.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

damn that's really good... but weren't you telling me that the bike was geared up? (cause the previous owner was scared of the power?) if that's the case then yes... you'd get better gas mileage as the motors running at a lower pace at freeway speeds.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

hopefully tonight after work i can expand upon my list with specific details for each bike (hp/tq, wet weight, fuel cap, fuel delivery system, etc) along with my percieved pros and cons for each one. :thumbs:
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Dude, I think you have big fucking rats in your house. In your sig I see something scurry across the floor.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious! But a Busa or ZX14 the Connie14 are all going to be superior sport touring machines with the ZX14 and Busa being the stronger on the sport side. The only one on your list I have saddle time on is the CBR1100 and I can say without any question in my mind that a Gen 1 busa handles better and rides smoother with better braking. Mileage is at your wrist and with it range The new Gen2 are reported to be a better bike still for touring (no saddle time here) I notice you didn’t mention anything accept jap bikes leaving out the Duc Touring Machines the BMWs the Sprints .
If budget is your thing take a long look at a 04 – 07 up Hard core Busa owners are jumping up to the Gen 2s and any number of wannabes who bought then and left them sitting and are now trying to escape the payment
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I will say the ZX9 would be awesome... I thought my 6 was fine for my trip... I was geared down so it didn't get the greatest gas milage... but it wasn't bad.... 150-170 per tank (37-42mpg)

and the headlights are FUCKING AWESOME... especially if you go with a dual hi/lo HID kit... as anyone who rode infront of me to indy
thats no shit, it was like riding with a friggin CAR! I kept having to check as I thought a car was right up my exhaust, but noooooo, just Ebbs and those HIDs...

I kinda agree with Nh on this one, as long as you arent stupid with the power, the busa does make for a great touring bike...

On the other choices..hmm, i know the yzf's are a good ride, but not too much input on the others...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

For sport/touring, no one ever mentions the most important (to me anyway) thing that can't be fixed by a higher windscreen, higher bars, better seat, etc. And that is vibration. The Busa has a mean vibration around 4,500. I would get the Blackbird. It's smooth as silk, quick, and comfortable. And for only $4K: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/839913256.html. What a steal.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote