Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
...Why run the bike in it's powerband all the time and waste gas and engine wear? Why ride on the highway at 70 in 6th gear and have your engine be buzzing at 12krpm?

Why do you need to come out of a corner way up in the powerband, are you driving out of corners like it's a track and spinning up the rear? Racing buddies to the next stop sign?

For most twisties there should be minimal (if any) braking into and driving out of corners...

... I also have no desire to ride my 600SS on the street anymore, it's just a waste. I'll be getting something more fun with less power for the street in the spring and racing my 6.
And people wonder why I have fun riding my old GS1000. The torque curve looks like a big scoop of ice cream, with the peak at 6K. The new sport 600's have their torque peak at 11K or above. Engines are most efficient when running near their torque peak. That's why they scream.

And only severe gearing will help these bikes. The 600 race bikes are race bikes. The engines have developed into high rpm horsepower because that's what sells bikes. So what that there's no power below 6K.

Around here, half the corners are blind. I don't like accelerating out of these corners until I see the road is clear. That's why mid-range power is so important to me. And maybe you would like a bike with mid-range torque instead of high-rpm horsepower.

The new liter bikes have it because of their cubic inches, but so do a bunch of older 600's and 750's. Too bad a lot of riders don't want the older bikes just because some idiots at some magazines say "this new 600 makes more horsepower than any 750 of just a few years ago." Show me the torque curve buddy.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #32
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
And people wonder why I have fun riding my old GS1000. The torque curve looks like a big scoop of ice cream, with the peak at 6K. The new sport 600's have their torque peak at 11K or above. Engines are most efficient when running near their torque peak. That's why they scream.

And only severe gearing will help these bikes. The 600 race bikes are race bikes. The engines have developed into high rpm horsepower because that's what sells bikes. So what that there's no power below 6K.

Around here, half the corners are blind. I don't like accelerating out of these corners until I see the road is clear. That's why mid-range power is so important to me. And maybe you would like a bike with mid-range torque instead of high-rpm horsepower.

The new liter bikes have it because of their cubic inches, but so do a bunch of older 600's and 750's. Too bad a lot of riders don't want the older bikes just because some idiots at some magazines say "this new 600 makes more horsepower than any 750 of just a few years ago." Show me the torque curve buddy.
As usual, I agree with you.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #33
Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
FUCK IT. WE'LL DO IT LIVE

Moto: 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 blue/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
On a street bike, don't change the gearing. You'll just waste gas and keep the bike higher in the revs all the time for no reason.

Go with an x-ring chain, DID ERV3 is the top of the line.

Stick with stock link size (525) if you don't intend to change the chain any more frequently than you HAVE to.

Yes, change the sprockets and the chain at the same time, it's good practice.
If I do keep this bike and do not trade it in on what I really want I am going to gear the shit out of it to make it quicker. I figure if i have to change out the sprockets I may as well get some more performance out of this thing and make it a little more fun to ride right. 3rd gear stand ups FTW.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #34
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezilla (Impala Balko) View Post
If I do keep this bike and do not trade it in on what I really want I am going to gear the shit out of it to make it quicker. I figure if i have to change out the sprockets I may as well get some more performance out of this thing and make it a little more fun to ride right. 3rd gear stand ups FTW.
Just do what you gotta do to make it a fun bike for YOU to ride. CEO ain't riding that bitch. He's got his own agenda. At the end of the day it's your bike. Do what you want to make yourself happy....whether thats track riding, street riding, or what have you. As long as your enjoying yourself you'll be just fine.

How do I know this? I'm riding a bike that doesn't turn Japanese lap times...yet I'm still having fun when I ride. Amazing how that works.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #35
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post

V-twin FTW!!! 25 ft-lb dif from idle to redline... and a min of 50 ft-lb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Just do what you gotta do to make it a fun bike for YOU to ride. CEO ain't riding that bitch. He's got his own agenda. At the end of the day it's your bike. Do what you want to make yourself happy....whether thats track riding, street riding, or what have you. As long as your enjoying yourself you'll be just fine.

How do I know this? I'm riding a bike that doesn't turn Japanese lap times...yet I'm still having fun when I ride. Amazing how that works.
Mine can come close, and is far easier and more comfortable to ride on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote