Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #41
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
IF it works... Big claims.

go check out the Youtube link they have on their site...looks like it works to me...
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #42
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
go check out the Youtube link they have on their site...looks like it works to me...
is it a flip like the Scorpion one or what?

what's not to work?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #43
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
is it a flip like the Scorpion one or what?

what's not to work?
I am not sure how it works, I havent looked into that yet, but they actually puch a button and the thing darkens after a few seconds...actually the best description I could give is it looks like fog, its clear and then it darkens beginning at the outside edges and all the way through till its black, but it is the original clear one they start with...
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #44
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
I am not sure how it works, I havent looked into that yet, but they actually puch a button and the thing darkens after a few seconds...actually the best description I could give is it looks like fog, its clear and then it darkens beginning at the outside edges and all the way through till its black, but it is the original clear one they start with...
ok so it's that electro crap... yeah in that case... I agree with CEO it'd be nice when it worked... but if it went out it'd be a pain and expensive to get fixed... also with out a charge the visor won't tint... (if it's the stuff I'm talking about)

it's like those limmo privacy windows I think
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
ok so it's that electro crap... yeah in that case... I agree with CEO it'd be nice when it worked... but if it went out it'd be a pain and expensive to get fixed... also with out a charge the visor won't tint... (if it's the stuff I'm talking about)

it's like those limmo privacy windows I think
"electrocrap"? yeesh buddy...anyway,it works perfectly and is guaranteed for two years. It's not cheap but it's not the kind of thing you repair the shield's over $100 so it's not for the skin flint but Arai shields used to cost $65 for iridium so...They also have photochromatic shields if you don't think you can handle the responsibility of pluging your helmet in every so often. BTW the shield darkens with power so if your battery ran out the worst that can happen is you have to ride with a clear shield until you charge your helmet or change shields. Or you can install a power socket on your bike for cell phones,gps,etc. For the record the helmet comes with both clear and tinted regular shields. It's funny,I just got off the phone with the Akuma sales rep talking about getting the photo shield which I've seen in person and it darkens to 60% fast! The T.O.D.s are being alittle held up so she's giving me the photos for free! It sounds like you've seen "electro-crap" tint before as have I. I've never known it not to work,you? There is also research being done with electro-paint so your helmet changes colors constantly in a pattern or from one color to another. That's a few years off she said. No offense guys but you all can be a bit negative at times. I got the same reaction when I intro'd the Adaptive Tech bike radar detector I bought. It's a good thing you guys weren't around when Edison intro'd the light bulb!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 03-13-2008 at 07:43 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #46
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Looks like an LCD screen in the shape of a visor. And as long as it took, I can change my visor out faster. Might be interesting in a few years if they can make it variable tint and faster. Oh yeah, and CHEAPER! And who knows how they'll hold up to bug guts and rock chips. Will they fade or darken with sunlight and time?

The helmets look cool, it's the photochromic and electrochromic visors I'm skeptical of.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #47
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

dude those helmets have built in LEDs. Awesome, that will save me a lot of trouble mounting flashlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #48
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Ok Rae maybe I'll change my mind about dating female bikers in your case! We agree so often! I also looked at the EXO1000 but was turned off by the styling. The features are the cat's ass but I thought it was way ugly (no offense) and if I had to get one it would have been the white/silver as white is my fav color. I also often look at helmets that "flip open" to uncover your face but can't find one that I like the looks of or that doesn't sound like a hurricane is in my head at 150mph. I'm a total sucker for features(gimmicks) like the sun shield. Heck,that's why I've ordered the Akuma helmet. It will have a built in battery pac,a tint on demand visor(hit a button and it darkens/lightens),blue tooth head set ,flashing leds on the back and a map reading light in the front! Plus it weighs the same as my HJC AC12 Carbon(supposedly). They have some of the coolest graphics I've seen for a while as well. To include some military themed ones a military brats like us can appreciate. www.akumahelmets.com.
Quote:
Damn! You about gave me a heart attack! At first I thought you were talking about me!(down boy,down!) Anyway,I'm working on a discount right now with them and Ron Ayers,so if you're interested let me know. We have to buy 3 to qualify,so I'm getting the Werewolf and Doragon and RA is gonna keep an Apache to sell. We're waiting on the Apache and the T.O.D. visors now. I'm getting both helmets for $600 with all the gadgets so.....WOO FUCKING HOO!!!!!
Dude, that Doragon is bad ass...where do I sign up for one.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #49
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
"electrocrap"? yeesh buddy...anyway,it works perfectly and is guaranteed for two years. It's not cheap but it's not the kind of thing you repair the shield's over $100 so it's not for the skin flint but Arai shields used to cost $65 for iridium so...They also have photochromatic shields if you don't think you can handle the responsibility of pluging your helmet in every so often. BTW the shield darkens with power so if your battery ran out the worst that can happen is you have to ride with a clear shield until you charge your helmet or change shields. Or you can install a power socket on your bike for cell phones,gps,etc. For the record the helmet comes with both clear and tinted regular shields. It's funny,I just got off the phone with the Akuma sales rep talking about getting the photo shield which I've seen in person and it darkens to 60% fast! The T.O.D.s are being alittle held up so she's giving me the photos for free! It sounds like you've seen "electro-crap" tint before as have I. I've never known it not to work,you? There is also research being done with electro-paint so your helmet changes colors constantly in a pattern or from one color to another. That's a few years off she said. No offense guys but you all can be a bit negative at times. I got the same reaction when I intro'd the Adaptive Tech bike radar detector I bought. It's a good thing you guys weren't around when Edison intro'd the light bulb!
Whooa there tigger... stay off the juice...

I didn't mean electrocrap in a negitive way... I just use crap when I can't think of the word...

it's a good idea... I'm just wondering the reliabilty...

electrochromic is the word I was looking for...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #50
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Looks like an LCD screen in the shape of a visor. And as long as it took, I can change my visor out faster. Might be interesting in a few years if they can make it variable tint and faster. Oh yeah, and CHEAPER! And who knows how they'll hold up to bug guts and rock chips. Will they fade or darken with sunlight and time?

The helmets look cool, it's the photochromic and electrochromic visors I'm skeptical of.
I love you PR! So you're saying that you can stop your bike, get into your tankbag or trunk(my trunk won't hold a visor btw),take off your gloves and helmet,swap the shield,put the first one away,button up your bike/bag,put your helmet back on,put your gloves back on and restart your bike in less than 4 seconds? You know what? I have money that says you can't unbuckle and take your helmet off,swap shields and put your helmet back on and rebuckle it in under four seconds!!! Tell you what,it looks like I'll have it in a few days,I'll let you know how well the photo works anyway.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote