Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

$50 for the ass hmmmm kinda high
Old 07-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #222
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Gonna start building the workbench this weekend.

Last week I went to Ikea and started buying the supplies. Couple things from home depot and I'm ready to start.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #223
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Couple little things...

Mounted a hook for my suit

Purchased and organized all the parts I'll need to make my workbench.

I've got a thick, solid oak kitchen countertop for the top, along with sandpaper and polyurethane coating to finish it nicely.

Kitchen base 4-drawer cabinet that will support one side of the workbench and act as storage.

4x4's for the legs on the other side of the workbench, with lag bolts and washers.

1x4's for cross-bracing of legs/etc.

Since I've bought so many damn bike parts and they all came with stickers, I think I'm goign to seal a bunch of stickers under the polyurethane on the workbench top, I think it will look really nice.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #224
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Coming together very nicely. Hope you're thinking about a fire suppression system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQqaINrjA4
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #225
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

no joke piz... we all remember that one guy with all those sweet cars in his garage that burned down...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #226
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
Coming together very nicely. Hope you're thinking about a fire suppression system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
no joke piz... we all remember that one guy with all those sweet cars in his garage that burned down...
Yeah I remember that dude... had a lambo and all kinds of shit in there

I've been meaning to grab an extinguisher and mount it on the wall.... you guys are right I need to get on that shit stat.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #227
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah I have 2 ext. in the garage, one outside the shed, and like 4 in the house.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #228
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

This weekend I got a bunch done on the workbench, in addition to a bunch of Hooplah with selling and shipping some of the spare R6 parts I'm trying to get rid of.

First things first, I assembled the Ikea kitchen base cabinet and cut drawer liners for all the drawers. This thing is really nice for the money. Really solid drawer slides. There's even a built-in mechanism allowing you to adjust the drawer front alignment up/down and left/right with a screwdriver. Not bad for 100 bucks:

Next, it was time to get to work on the countertop. It's a solid oak kitchen countertop from ikea... what a deal... 2.5" thick solid oak butcherblock, over 2 feet in depth and over 6 feet long for around 120 bucks (I think that's what it was). I took it outside and cut it to length. Then, I used some 220 grit sandpaper to give a light sand to the top and sides. Then I cleaned up all the dust with some tack cloth:

I bought a couple packages of Parks' Super Glaze surface treatment. It's a VERY thick/viscous epoxy. Instead of using polyurethane and having to do 100 coats, I'll just do a few coats of this stuff, it says it's equivalent to 60 coats of poly, I htink I used it a bit thicker than that.

Since wood is so porous I mixed up a small batch and poured it on and spread it on really thin, just to seal up the surface and get it ready:

The next day, I decided where I wanted to put all the stickers and how to orient them and such. I stuck them all on on top of the now-dry skim coat. I didn't have another twfix sticker, so that sucked. My local forum sent me spare white ones with the silver ones I bought, so that got on there. Trip is a cheap bastard so his forum will not be honored for all eternity in my workbench top.

Happy with the setup, I mixed up the rest of the two packages, saving a little bit for later since I will need to sand down edge drips and then recoat the edges. All in all it was about 1 3/4 quarts of the stuff... poured it on and spread it around carefully.

It started to set/cure and I am pretty happy with the result... it's amazingly clear and shiny. I will explain the gap on the right side in a second. Here's the benchtop, I tried to align the fluorescent light with a portion of the benchtop without any stickers when taking photos:

The space on the right is for this bad boy I picked up... full 360 degree swivel both on the base and the throat... anvil on top, 5" jaws on one side, pipe jaws on the otherside. Thing's a beast:

The Parks' Super Glaze is pretty resilient... if you slam a wrench on it or something it will deflect, but over time it will recover. Even still, this is a workbench, so I'm considering picking up another package and adding several more /32"s to the coating. Also, I forgot a couple of the Akrapovic stickers I meant to put on so I could add those too haha.

This bench looks like it will turn out really nice. I ordered a couple swivel leveling feet that will thread into the bottom of the 4x4's for leveling the bench, those will show up before next weekend.

Basically I'm spending as much money on the bench as it would cost to buy the one I was looking at from Sears... except this thing will be a hell of a lot nicer.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #229
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Love the bench top. Looks great.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #230
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Looks pimp! you should have taken a pic of your bike and put it in there too...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote