Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
There is ALWAYS 3 sides to a story. Simple fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I am sure the group was being idiots, a group of bikers are almost always being idiots. I am sure the cop shouldn't of chased, get the tag and let them go. Pick the dude up when he is whacking off at home by his computer. No one gets hurt.
True and true
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
I am sure the group was being idiots, a group of bikers are almost always being idiots. I am sure the cop shouldn't of chased, get the tag and let them go. Pick the dude up when he is whacking off at home by his computer. No one gets hurt.
Here's the problem with being a cop....no matter what happens, you get blamed.

Scenario 1. Sees 30 bikers doing wheelies down the freeway; takes registration info and when he tries to stop; they flee. He does not pursue, calls it in but one of the buttheads makes an oopsie 5 miles down the road and kills a bystander.....

Result: Inflammatory story on "Eyewitness News at 5" and the lead is that "Citizen killed by biker, cops do nothing".

Scenario 2. As original story.

Scenario 3. Sees 30 bikers doing wheelies, tries to perform traffic stop, pursues bikers and one of the pursuants runs into the back of a semi at 130+.

Result: Family, friends of the dead biker picket the capitol, calling for an end to "dangerous high speed pursuits" and vow to sue the state/city/county and cop for millions of dollars for wrongful death. Suit of course has no merit, but it will cost the cop thousands to defend his name.

Folks at the state capitol debate new restrictive legislation to ban/curtail "sport bikes"...insurance companies lobby govt and manufacturers to restrict horsepower/displacement....other insurance companies consider dropping sport bike coverage altogether.......

No matter what limited choice(s) a cop makes in this scenario; if it turns out badly, (and it's likely going to unless folks pull over like they should) he's going to take the heat from somebody.... and the Monday Morning Quarterbacks are all going to judge something he has a second or two to make a decision over.....

Ya, ya, I know; "If a cop can't stand the heat, he shouldn't be a cop,,blah, blah...". I AM going to sound like an olde farte, but I guess that is BECAUSE I AM ONE...but if you are doing the usual sportbike pack crap on the freeway (wheelies, stunting, ect.) when the blue lights come on, it's time to pull over and take your lumps (tickets). Nothing is worth endangering the lives of innocents.

And blaming "bad cops" for your bad behavior is just a smokescreen. I have dealt with cops a lot (sometimes daily when I was teaching) and have a couple Baltimore City cops I consider regular and good friends; there are some good ones, some so-so, and some not very nice at all... but it takes a special type of person to put on the uniform and go put yourself out there day in and day out...and time on the job and seeing what you see has a tendency to skew your perspective on people in general towards suspicion and distrust, even for the very best of people....

If you are young, regret is made from the stuff we can't take back and would if we knew better at the time.

Perhaps we should spend or energies talking to and trying to discourage our risk-taking buddies.......

For what it is worth.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post

Perhaps we should spend or energies talking to and trying to discourage our risk-taking buddies.......

Hell no, screw that....it's about being right and a Net Napoleon!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

Scenario 1. Sees 30 bikers doing wheelies down the freeway; takes registration info and when he tries to stop; they flee. He does not pursue, calls it in but one of the buttheads makes an oopsie 5 miles down the road and kills a bystander.....

Result: Inflammatory story on "Eyewitness News at 5" and the lead is that "Citizen killed by biker, cops do nothing".

Scenario 3. Sees 30 bikers doing wheelies, tries to perform traffic stop, pursues bikers and one of the pursuants runs into the back of a semi at 130+.

Result: Family, friends of the dead biker picket the capitol, calling for an end to "dangerous high speed pursuits" and vow to sue the state/city/county and cop for millions of dollars for wrongful death. Suit of course has no merit, but it will cost the cop thousands to defend his name.
You left out:

Scenario 4: Cop decides to drive in front of biker group that's been reported as being d-bags then slow down well below traffic speed and block them. Cut off any that try to pass him and then when one does get past, race after him and wreck yourself.

They provide their own no win situation.

I am not saying the bikers are angels and probably deserve lots of tickets, but I am willing to bet the cop is as much at fault for this situation.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
You left out:

Scenario 4: Cop decides to drive in front of biker group that's been reported as being d-bags then slow down well below traffic speed and block them. Cut off any that try to pass him and then when one does get past, race after him and wreck yourself.

They provide their own no win situation.

I am not saying the bikers are angels and probably deserve lots of tickets, but I am willing to bet the cop is as much at fault for this situation.
See scenario 2
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:

Folks at the state capitol debate new restrictive legislation to ban/curtail "sport bikes"...insurance companies lobby govt and manufacturers to restrict horsepower/displacement....other insurance companies consider dropping sport bike coverage altogether.......

No matter what limited choice(s) a cop makes in this scenario; if it turns out badly, (and it's likely going to unless folks pull over like they should) he's going to take the heat from somebody.... and the Monday Morning Quarterbacks are all going to judge something he has a second or two to make a decision over.....

Ya, ya, I know; "If a cop can't stand the heat, he shouldn't be a cop,,blah, blah...". I AM going to sound like an olde farte, but I guess that is BECAUSE I AM ONE...but if you are doing the usual sportbike pack crap on the freeway (wheelies, stunting, ect.) when the blue lights come on, it's time to pull over and take your lumps (tickets). Nothing is worth endangering the lives of innocents.

And blaming "bad cops" for your bad behavior is just a smokescreen. I have dealt with cops a lot (sometimes daily when I was teaching) and have a couple Baltimore City cops I consider regular and good friends; there are some good ones, some so-so, and some not very nice at all... but it takes a special type of person to put on the uniform and go put yourself out there day in and day out...and time on the job and seeing what you see has a tendency to skew your perspective on people in general towards suspicion and distrust, even for the very best of people....

If you are young, regret is made from the stuff we can't take back and would if we knew better at the time.

For what it is worth.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

So, if the cop was being dangerous and an asshole - why would you speed past him and egg him into a chase? How does that possibly end well for anyone? I'm so confused.

My ex-husband is a cop. I fight everyday not to put every cop in the same bucket with him. It's a horrible job, that I wouldn't be able to muster the patience for. I give props to those that can and do.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

So, do you think the account about the police officer actually causing this whole situation will be widely reported? Or do you think bikers will be vilified, and made to look bad, as it always happens?

Oh, look...front page story on CNN. Those evil, horrible menacing bikers...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cri...op.komo?hpt=T2

That poor, heroic cop!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Or do you think bikers will be vilified, and made to look bad, as it always happens?
So your argument is essentially that riding in a pack of 30....swerving in and out of traffic...pulling wheelies in traffic....generally acting like entitled fucks.....like the rules of the road don't apply to them....makes bikers look GOOD?
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
So your argument is essentially that riding in a pack of 30....swerving in and out of traffic...pulling wheelies in traffic....generally acting like entitled fucks.....like the rules of the road don't apply to them....makes bikers look GOOD?
Yes. I believe if you read back, you'll see that's exactly what I said.